Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption question advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Welshkitty

Welshkitty Report 2 Apr 2012 15:30

Hey all,
Really would like advice as at the moment I feel I'm going around in hoops!
The basic's of it is my mum was adopted and she looked into records and found out her birth mum and dad , where she was born and reason for her being given up . Now this is the hard bit , my mum passed away suddenly and was going to look to try and contact to see if they would be willing to meet up or basically to see if the family is still alive. I haven't got all details apart from birth mum name as we are still going through documents for everything and well I just can't find much at all.
Due to the stress I have forgotten where she was adopted from as in which agency , I have tried ringing the ones that are in area and they basically have told me I have no rights to try and contact family as it was my mum adopted not me.
I can understand this to a point , I was willing go through the seeing if they want contact if not fine but wanted to try. I just don't know where to go from here , the threads I have found on here are more if your adopted or put someone up for adoption or doing it on behalf of person who is still alive.
I have platinum member so access to some records but I don't know where to search.

Sorry it long story but trying to explain as best as I can.
Any help would be fab thanks in advance :-)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Apr 2012 15:53

Hi Bethan,

Do you want to PM me with her name and I will see if I can find anything for you

This might be a help to you though

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/default.htm

Regards Jackie

Welshkitty

Welshkitty Report 2 Apr 2012 16:01

Hi Jackie ,
I will Pm you some details in relation to her names.
Thanks

Welshkitty

Welshkitty Report 3 Apr 2012 09:54

Hi ,
Just a bit of an update I have spoken to agency who have dealt with adoptions , thanks to the link Jackie , I have been informed that they are unwilling to do anything on my behalf ,I explained that even if they didn't want contact I would understand but they say I have no rights and won't assist me in anyway.
I asked is there anyway I can get it noted that I would like contact , or have they asked for no or yes to contact to be placed on file and they are not willing to check or even place notes .
Just so annoying :(

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Apr 2012 10:20

They are not 'unwilling' to help you. As the law stands, they are not allowed to do so. They are correct in saying that you have no legal rights in this matter.

Have you added all the details you know to the national adoption contact register?

There are moves afoot to change the law, so if it happens, you can always try the agency again. Take good care of the info you have - it may prove useful in due course

Welshkitty

Welshkitty Report 4 Apr 2012 21:58

UPDATE.

Thanks to all that have PM me thanks to jackie think found some details of my mum's mum. I have found out there maybe documents that could have further information in relation to full names and ages of my mum's parents hoping to have copies in next few day's, will update once have info.
Thanks again
Beth x :-)