Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barnados Children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 18 Mar 2012 22:18

Hi

I was wondering if anyone would know if there was a way to find out if children who were at a Barnados Childrens home were sent to Austrralia in the 1960s. Am not sure if this is possible or not

Many thanks

Jeanette

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Mar 2012 23:01

If the name is not too common, they might appear by searching via this page on the Archives of Australia site.
Only an outline entry is shown, but it might be enough detail to recognise if it is the correct person.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

Gwyn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Mar 2012 08:53

Only if they are a close relative ie child.sibling with proof will drB offer any information held archived records in their care from this date.

just closely related relatives do not count.

they may show up in Australian Archive site incoming passenger list?

Ru

Ru Report 19 Mar 2012 09:23

Hello Jeanette,

Is there a Barnardos Australia like we have in NZ - Barnardos NZ? They may have information or let you know how to obtain this. We found an old Barnardos Boy who came to NZ as a child - he played in the Barnardos Band.

Try this: www.barnardos.org.au see how you get on. I don't know but you can but try.

Good luck,

Maria

Ru

Ru Report 21 Mar 2012 09:12

How have you gone Jeanette; I have found a site. Barnardos are big i Australia and they 'brag' about the 120 years of service to migrant children. They will try to help I am sure.

Let us know how you go.

Maria

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 21 Mar 2012 13:24

Hi Jeanette,

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/who_we_are/history/family_history_service/family_history_service_trace_your_family_history.htm

Regards Jackie

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 21 Mar 2012 23:52

Hi

Thank you all so much for your replies and help..

I have been in contact today with the head office of Dr Barnardos uk and spoke to a vey helpful lady who is sending me a form so a search can be done so fingers crossed I might have some news soon!

Thank you so much again for all your help I will let you know how I get on

Jeanette

Ru

Ru Report 22 Mar 2012 06:24

Well done Jeanette - hope it all goes as you wish it to.

Maria

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 31 Mar 2012 22:08

Jeanette,

There is an organisation in Nottingham run by Margaret Humphreys call the Child Migrant Trust and she does wonderful work finding and reuniting child evacuees from England to all corners of the the earth, particularly those from 1939 on wards. This may be worth a try to find that loved one you are looking for.

Regards Vanessa

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 6 Apr 2012 19:59

Thank you all so much for your help and advice it is very much appreciated I will follow all the leads and let you know how I get on

Thank you again I really would be lost without the help from the members of the site.

Kind Regards

Jeanette.