Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Frank Smith 1898 have poss Army reg/no

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

janebull

janebull Report 16 Mar 2012 20:44

I was hoping somebody may be able to advise me in my search for my husbands grandfather in 1901/1911 census and hopefully birth records - I am new to this and fear Smith might be a step too far!!
We have Frank Smiths marriage certificate dated 5/11/19
Marries Maud Charlotte Kitchen ( We have all her details actual name Charlotte Maud Kitchen from Portbury/Portishead Long Ashton)
Married at Bristol Register Office
Grooms fatherEdward James Smith - occupation wheelwright.
Witnesses Brides sister and husband

Grooms occupation (hopefully the breakthrough !)
Driver , R.G.A
We are hoping this maybe the Royal Garrison Artillery with army number - but have drawn a blank with confirming.
Frank and Maud both 21 at marriage
Any suggestions welcomed thank you for reading

No.220484 :-)

Ron2

Ron2 Report 16 Mar 2012 21:10

Rootsweb site might well be worth a visit. Put the usual 3 w's in front then a dot and after rootsweb put a dot and com

Think thats the site where some knowledgible people regarding the forces but tis 3 or 4 years since I last visited

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Mar 2012 21:33

Possibe Medal Card on Ancestry

Name: Frank Smith
Regiment or Corps: Royal West Kent Regiment, Royal Garrison Artillery, Royal Garrison Artillery
Regimental Number: L/10940, 220484, 1416058

Latest info on card
GSM & Clasp Iraq 8.11.23
Address: 5 Honey Lands, Clevedon Road, Nr Portishead, Bristol

janebull

janebull Report 16 Mar 2012 21:33

Thank you Ronald I will have a look there. :-)

janebull

janebull Report 16 Mar 2012 21:39

Thanks Glitterbaby ,I have looked on ancestry to no avail but obviously not properley and also it may solve the question as to where Frank was from as I had a nagging feeling someone had mentioned Kent many years ago! Best go searching again! :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Mar 2012 21:49

1911 a possible
SMITH, Ed Jas Head Married M 46 1865 Wheelwright India Meerut Resident VIEW
SMITH, Emma Jane Wife Married
21 years F 44 1867 Kent Maidstone VIEW
SMITH, William Son Single M 17 1894 Shop Assistant Kent Maidstone VIEW
SMITH, Albert Son Single M 16 1895 Shoop Assistant Kent Maidstone VIEW
SMITH, Frank Son M 13 1898 School Kent Maidstone VIEW
SMITH, George Son M 11 1900 School Kent Maidstone VIEW
SMITH, Sir John French Son M 8 1903 Kent Maidstone VIEW
SMITH, Reginald Son M 3 1908 Kent Maidstone VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
4154 Reference:
RG14PN4154 RG78PN161 RD51 SD3 ED27 SN260

Registration District:
Maidstone Sub District:
Maidstone Enumeration District:
27 Parish:
Maidstone

Address:
23 Prospect Place Bower Lane

UPDATED
Got a problem. 1901 Frank is shown as Frank E Smith

janebull

janebull Report 16 Mar 2012 22:42

Thank you for the census GlitterBaby -sorry for not answering sooner ( have been printing out the ancestry record you found earlier -takes me so long to find things!!). The census is definately a possibility the Indian Meerut Resident slightly throws us but not sure as there was talk of Malterese lineage ( we arent sure if this was the smith side but couldnt find it anywhere else) and maybe it became changed over the years. :-)

janebull

janebull Report 17 Mar 2012 12:27

I noticed the E ( or looked like an E ) too, but maybe he didnt carry on using it ? Trouble is I have no other way of seeing if this is his family ( his daughters have all gone too and he lived the rest of his life inPortishead - there does seem to be a son frank on freeBDM which we cant account for which is another puzzle !
I was trying to find more of his army records if they survived as already in army when he married so might have mothers address on them.
Thankyou for your help GlitterBaby