Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie Brown b 1885 Hawick, Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 15 Mar 2012 17:43

I would love to make contact with any living descendents of Annie Brown who was born in Hawick, Scotland on 5 Nov 1885. She is my grandfather's sister and was last heard of at his wedding in 1907, when she was still single. I believe she got married sometime thereafter but to whom is not known. I have been unable to find her in the 1911 Census which suggests that she got married before then. Can anyone help me?

Lynski

Lynski Report 15 Mar 2012 20:54

There are two in the 1891 census that match the details you have given -

BROWN, James Head Married M 50 1841 Foreman Carder Hawick Roxburghshire N/A
BROWN, Barbara Wife Married F 51 1840 London England N/A
BROWN, Barbara J Daughter Unmarried F 10 1881 Scholar Wilton Roxburghshire N/A
BROWN, Annie B Daughter F 7 1884 Scholar Hawick Roxburghshire N/A
BROWN, Barbara A Granddaughter F 3 1888 Scholar Hawick Roxburghshire N/A
MURRAY, James Nephew Unmarried M 26 1865 Fuller Wilton Roxburghshire N/A

Piece: 789 Folio: 13 Page: 24 Registration District: Hawick
Civil Parish: Hawick Municipal Borough:
Address: Dalkeith Place, Hawick County: Roxburghshire

BROWN, Agnes Head Unmarried F 34 1857 Wool Power Loom Weaver Hawick Roxburghshire N/A
BROWN, James Son Unmarried M 10 1881 Scholar Hawick Roxburghshire N/A
BROWN, Annie Daughter Unmarried F 5 1886 Hawick Roxburghshire N/A
BROWN, Charles Son Unmarried M 1 1890 Hawick Roxburghshire N/A

Piece: 789 Folio: 2 Page: 16 Registration District: Hawick
Civil Parish: Hawick Municipal Borough:
Address: Tannage Close, Hawick County: Roxburghshire

Do either of these match yours?

If they do, you can then put the names into Search Trees on this site.

If you find a possible match you can contact the tree owner to see if you have a connection and whether they have more information on Annie?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Mar 2012 10:09

To look for her marriage, you will need to purchase credits on Scotland's people website.

It is not a subscription site, although as you refer to searching the 1911, you obviously already have access

Have you tried looking for her in 1911 by using just her first name and birth details?

ValT

ValT Report 16 Mar 2012 16:44

What was your grandfather's name?

Colin

Colin Report 17 Mar 2012 11:34

Hi Lynski
Yes, the second household contains Annie Brown and my grandfather.
I have tried searching the family trees on this site but there is no sign of her.
Regards
Colin

Colin

Colin Report 17 Mar 2012 11:40

Hi Reggie
I have looked for her marriage on the Scotland's People website but found nothing.
I haven't look for her in the 1911 Census by using only her christian name & birth details but I shall try and report back
Regards
Colin

Colin

Colin Report 17 Mar 2012 11:52

Hi Reggie
I regret to say it is not possible to look for Annie Brown in the 1911 Census using only her christian name & birth details. I have just tried it.
Regards
Colin

Colin

Colin Report 17 Mar 2012 11:55

Hi ValT
My grandfathers name was James Brown
Regards
Colin

ValT

ValT Report 17 Mar 2012 18:43

If you could put as much as you know on the board it would help us look for the family.

James' mum looks like Agnes and she was unmarried on the 1891 census.
Do you know if she ever married?

Colin

Colin Report 17 Mar 2012 20:33

Hi ValT
No Agnes never married but died in 1901 not long after the census. The family then appears to break up with my grandfather James aboard on army studies; his youngest brother Charles remaining in Hawick as a single man for a while and Annie, his sister (whose living descendents I am seeking to make contact with) disappearing only to re-appear as a witness at James's wedding in Aberdeen.
Regards
Colin

Colin

Colin Report 19 Mar 2012 10:57

Hi All
I have just tried looking for Annie in the English 1911 Census using only her christian name and her place & year of birth. Sadly I found no one with a Hawick birth place but 11 possibilities with a Roxburghshire birth place. Does anyone familiar with the England 1911 Census know if it was normal practice to insert the county of birth when it was in Scotland rather than the town?