Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how can i find my mums birth details

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

carol

carol Report 27 Feb 2012 18:04

i know her name....her date of birth/year.......she was adopted so her adopted name should show up...i know coz mine does.so why can't i find her on here

please help!??

Flip

Flip Report 27 Feb 2012 18:30

Her birth will only show up under her original name, not her adopted name. She would have to apply for the certificate, with her adoption details, it will not be released to anyone else other than her.

Flip

Flip Report 27 Feb 2012 18:39

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Birthandadoptionrecords/Adoptionrecords/DG_175567

The above link will give information on how to apply for the original birth certificats and what the formalities are (depends on her age). The service is completely free, she doesn't even need to pay for the certificate.

jax

jax Report 27 Feb 2012 21:36

So are you saying your birth appears on the bmd's under your adopted name?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Feb 2012 22:26

The adoptive name never shows on any public records

Flick

Flick Report 27 Feb 2012 22:53

This has already been answered on Genealogy Chat, and seen by carol

carol

carol Report 14 Mar 2012 18:33

apologies i got it wrong, my birth name is on GR not my adopted name. my mum does not know her birth name thanks everyone C :-)

Flip

Flip Report 14 Mar 2012 20:28

Hi Carol.,

If your mother wants to know her birth details, get her to follow the link I posted earlier in this thread and fill in the application form to obtain the original certificate and adoption file.

Like I said, the service is free and easy to use.