Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Doherty/Black

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2011 16:52

Hi all,
I have previously put up a message about finding my uncle, but it has since come to light that he may have used a different surname, I'll start by recaping from my earlier message.
My uncle was born George Leonard Doherty in 1950 in Caernarfon North Wales, his mother was Valerie Black (b. 1930 Caernarfon) and his father was Charles Doherty (b. abt 1924 place unknown?) they were married in 1950, Valerie left her husband during the 50's (reason unknown) Charles was a member of the RAF and based at this time in Llandwrog, Any info on Charles would also be welcome as I know nothing else about him.
Rumour has it that my uncle George took on the surname Black after his mother, he left the Caernarfon area during the 70's, there was a sighting of him in Liverpool, it's unclear weather he was living there or just passing through, he made one visit to my dad around 1980, my dad thought there was a hint of a liverpudlian accent?? No one has seen him since, we dont know if he is dead or alive, a relative heard that he may have married and had a son?? there is no proof of this it's just rumour..
All help welcome
Big thanks :-S

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Nov 2011 20:30

Julie,

To find out more about Charles you will need to purchase his marriage cert.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Nov 2011 20:38

Where is your other thread? I really don't want to duplicate any work done on that.

I assume the marriage in 1968 was mentioned?

Rose

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2011 20:40

Hi Rose,
Thanks for your reply, I already have the marriage cert, it still does'nt give me much to go on, I cant seem to find any other records, I dont no where he's from?
Year of marriage - 1950
Age - 26
Condition - Bachelor
Rank or profession - Loading air craftsman royal air force
Residence - Llandwrog (some sort of millitry base)
Fathers name - Charles Doherty, Profession - Motor lorry driver
???????????

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2011 20:43

My other thread was on the 26th of October (find living relatives)..under George Doherty

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Nov 2011 21:39

Hi Julie,

So what about the 1968 marriage to Pirkko?

Rose

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2011 22:10

Wow, I dont know about that, how sure are you that it's the same guy??
My gran did'nt marry again untill 1999, she was abt 69 then, she had the name Doherty all that time, I dont no if there was a divorce??
Thats really got me thinking
Thanks

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Nov 2011 22:17

The marriage is for a George L Doherty.

Can't see any children for the couple.

Rose

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2011 22:26

Hi Rose,
Big big thanks for that, it looks promising, I guess the only way to find out for sure is to order the cert and hope it wont be money wasted.
Thanks again for the lead :-D

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Nov 2011 22:38

I'm guessing his wife was Finnish or Norwegian. Perhaps there's a chance he left the country?

Rose

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2011 22:48

Perhaps?? the thing thats puzzling me is in 1968 he would have been only 18, im not sure if he left Caernarfon that early, he did return at least once, why did'nt he mention that he was married, plus the rumour that he used the surname Black instead, im really not sure now, I was starting to get a bit excited then, maybe I should still order the cert just in case, i can at least out rule it??????

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Nov 2011 01:28

If you look here:

http://www.royalmarinesonline.com/george-doherty-royal-marines.php

he looks to have left between Jan 1968 and June 1968.

That marriage was registered in June quarter 1968. Seems a bit of coincidence.

The only other George L Doherty was born in 1926.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Nov 2011 01:43

That couple who married in 1968 went to the US and later divorced in Wisconsin in 1982.

I'll what else I can find out.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Nov 2011 02:02

The only George L Doherty in Wisconsin I can find was born in 1947 and he died in September. George was a Vietnam veteran, serving in the Air Force so that might explain him being in the UK.

Not so sure that marriage is for your George now.

Rose

Julie

Julie Report 16 Nov 2011 09:42

Thank you Rose so much for your efforts and taking the time to help :-D