Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edward Riley/Mitchell/Purcell - Liverpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paulie

Paulie Report 20 Oct 2011 16:54

Hello: Looking for decendents of Edward Riley (1889), married Elizabeth A. Mitchell in 1911. (Children: Catherine 1912, Patrick 1913, Edward 1915, Mary 1917) Elizabeth died 1921 Grandfather married Ada A. Purcell 1923 who brought a boy and a girl to the marriage. Believe girl's name E. Purcell. She was a witness at my mother's marriage in 1941 (Margaret Patricia Shaw)

Thank you

patchem

patchem Report 20 Oct 2011 19:07

Have you looked to see if anyone on here has them in their trees?
Have you got your grandfather's marriage to Ada Purcell for her maiden name?
Are you also looking for descendants of Ada?

Added:
Possible marriage:
Marriages Dec 1905
HELME Ada Alice Lancaster 8e 1387
PURCELL Richard Lancaster 8e 1387

which is this 1911, with 2 sons however:
PURCELL, Richard Head Married M 28 1883 Asylum Attendant Royal Netler Hospital Hampshire
PURCELL, Ada Wife Married F 27 1884 Lanc Skerton Lancaster
PURCELL, Harold Son M 5 1906 Skerton Lancaster
PURCELL, Vincent Son M 3 1908 Moorlands Lancaster
HELME, Matthew Father In Law Widower M 58 1853 Blacksmith Lanc Skerton Lancaster

RG number: RG14 Piece: 25544 Reference: RG14PN25544 RG78PN1461 RD479 SD3 ED20 SN234
Registration District: Lancaster Sub District: Lancaster Enumeration District: 20 Parish: Lancaster
Address: 26 Dundee Sr Lancaster County: Lancashire

which could lead to this death:
Deaths Mar 1911
Purcell Richard 30 W.Derby 8b 272

But a rather belated birth:
Births Jun 1912
Purcell Ada Helme Lancaster 8e 1279
and not an 'E' for name.

Paulie

Paulie Report 20 Oct 2011 21:18

Thanks so much for your reply. A friend found that my grandfather, Edward Riley was buried January 1, 1946 (Aged57) and Ada Ann Riley died 1946 (age 65), buried same grave in Ford Cemetry. Their address at the time of their deaths was 8 Slade Street which matches the address on my parent's marriage license as my father's.. The death of my step grandmother would suggest Ada was born in 1881. My grandfather was born in 1889. Tried many combinations to find Ada's maiden name, but no luck. Again, thank you.

patchem

patchem Report 20 Oct 2011 22:37

If you have Ada's marriage certificate to your grandfather, her Father's name should be on it to give you her maiden name.

Paulie

Paulie Report 22 Oct 2011 01:09

Thanks again for helping. As you suggested, I have sent away for the certficate and wating for it to arrive in about two weeks. Being so very new, I am hesitant to build my family tree too much unless I am certain the connections are 99% in case I send someone on a wild goose chase. I gues I will gain confidence as I go. I did check all the trees and wrote to about 10 people, but, so far, have only received a couple of replies.

patchem

patchem Report 22 Oct 2011 07:59

Please get back onto the posting when you have the marriage certificate.