Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family of John Williamson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Betty

Betty Report 3 Sep 2011 14:33

I am looking for any family of John Williamson, John was born in Ratciff in 1899 and had two brothers - Robert and George.The Williamson family lost touch with John some years before his death which we believe was in the 60's. John was my husbands uncle and he would really like to know what happened to him and if he had any children which would be my husbands cousins.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Sep 2011 14:55

Is this his birth with the middle name of James?

Births Mar 1899
Williamson John James Stepney 1c 403

Stepney Reg covered Ratcliff.

If this is the correct person, possibly his death
John J Williamson
Birth Date: abt 1899
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1963
Age at Death: 64
Registration district: Hampstead Inferred County: London
Volume: 5c Page: 799

Do you know if he married, and the name of his wife? There are a number of John Williamson marriages, although no obvious ones for a John James Williamson.

With a wife's maiden name, it is possible to find the births of probable children, who may be living.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Sep 2011 15:00

Hopefully the 1911 for reference

WILLIAMSON, John Head Married M 36 1875 Drapers Porter And Packer Limehouse London
WILLIAMSON, Eliza Wife Married
12 years 6 live births, 3 still living F 36 1875 Stepney London
WILLIAMSON, John Son M 12 1899 School Stepney London
WILLIAMSON, Robert Son M 10 1901 School Stepney London
WILLIAMSON, George Son M 9 1902 School Islington N London

28 Marcellus Road Hornsey Road London N

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Sep 2011 15:07

Probably his baptism

John James Williamson
Record Type: Baptism
Estimated Birth Date: 27 Dec 1898
Baptism Date: 22 Jan 1899
Father's Name: John Williamson - Packer
Mother's Name: Eliza Williamson
Parish or Poor Law Union: Ratcliffe
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Address 36 London St

As he was born at the end of Dec 1898, a birth reg in the next quarter is more than likely.

If no one with keener eyes can spot a marriage, the death might have been registered by a close relative. It might be worth considering purchasing it.

Betty

Betty Report 4 Sep 2011 14:49

Thank you for this info. This is the correct family.John was married to Florence (surname unknown) although I haven't managed to find this marriage. However, he didn't have any children with her. He was a bit of a mystery and he may well have had someone else on the side before he split up with Florence. I don't know if they divorced or not. It was thought although not confirmed that he may have married again whether legally or not !!! and had children with her.
Like I said earlier my husband would like to find out if he has any cousins.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Sep 2011 15:42

In that case, it might be worth purchasing his death certificate. The informant may have been a 'relative'. As you are an old hand at FH going by the length of membership, you will know to purchase it for £9.25 from
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp.

Even if the person who registered it isn't a family connection, the 'usual address' could be searched on the ER. Other people listed may have been family.

Although very few case files for divorces after 1937 survive, you may be able to find a copy of his Decree, if he did divorce. .

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/divorce-after-1858.htm

Hopefully someone can find the original marriage to Florence for you. If it is not in England and Wales, might it have occurred in Scotland or overseas - perhaps if they met during WW2?

Betty

Betty Report 18 Oct 2011 13:12

We now have the death certificate for John James Williamson , he died 17th Dec 1963. The informant was a R.Williamson (widow of dec'd) . This hasn't been much help as her first name isn't given.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Oct 2011 14:47

Have you got an address though? If you can search electoral register as suggested above you might find the full name.
Jan