Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

chapman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

malchap

malchap Report 9 Aug 2011 20:34

I am revisiting ancestors in Melton Mowbray. There must be living links I have not found and many in the right area. If you have links that match please let me know.

William Chapman b 1810 and Elizabeth Bilston b 1815 had the following chjldren mostly born in Melton mowbray

betsy 1861
alfred 1858
alice 1855
jane 1853
mary 1851
hannah 1849
hannah 1848
sarah 1847
amos 1845
robert 1843
mary1841
thomas 1839
francis 1837
henry 1836
william 1834
joseph 1831

amos chapman above married mary barber b 1844 and further children born in Melton Mowbray are below. It is said that Amos was not the nicest of people. Do you have any information on this?

harold 1888
florence 1885
albert 1881
lillian 1880
edwin 1880
thomas 1873
walter 1870
ellen 1868
clara 1865

Edwin above, my grandfather, left home never to return although mary his daughter b 1907 did have some contact in melton mowbray and someone who had sold a farm left me some furniture but I did not know who.

Anyone who can provide any connections please reply to malcolm chapman

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Aug 2011 21:59

You need to go looking by using 'search trees' box above.
Jan

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 10 Aug 2011 00:15

malchap you are not even beginning to use the resources available to you ... it just is not remotely likely that anyone related will see your message here, you have to look for people if you want to find them

first is freebmd

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

and this is your Edwin's real date of birth

Births Sep 1878
Chapman Edwin Melton M. 7a 307

a member of genesreunited has him in their tree with that correct date and someone else has him with the 1880 date ... but you don't have him ( or the others ? ) in your tree at all ...

I would start by going to freebmd and just searching for all Chapman events in Melton Mowbray and picking out all your births to be sure of correct dates ... you may be able to identify some marriages ...

for children who were married by 1881 that census is free at Ancestry

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=7572

so you can try seeing who the girls married ( try searching for them with each possible surname from any marriage list you find )

and then see any children the children had ...

this is what other people could do for you but it is much more rewarding to do it for yourself

and of course as has been said use the 'Search Trees' button above to search for all of your names in other people's family trees and send messages to any members you find

if you just search for Chapman born in Melton Mowbray say 1850 plus or minus 50 years you can just read through the list of results ...

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Aug 2011 19:17

I sent Malcolm a message to be sure he knew he had replies and how to reply to them ...

I have received your reply, Malcolm ...

..... um ..... you're welcome ..... I'm sure ..... I guess I just missed where you said 'thank you' .....

by the way a branch of my family is from Melton Mowbray, I wondered whether we might find any connection if we looked around, not likely but it was one reason I tried to help a little ...............