Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shirley Wickham born 1942 Eton UK moved to Oz

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mollie

Mollie Report 18 Jul 2011 13:53

Looking for Shirley, daughter of Donald Wickham & Dorothy Eva Mensforth Earl who moved to Australia between 1942-1949.
Dorothy who died 13 April 2011 is my Aunt and the younger sister of my father Cyril Bernard Earl.
There are still 2 living sisters of Dorothy in Yorkshire
Any help appreciated
Mollie Avery nee Earl

Flick

Flick Report 18 Jul 2011 14:34

The first place to look is 'search trees' on here...........

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jul 2011 21:51

From Archives of Australia site.........

Wickham, Donald - wife Dorothy Eva [nee Mensforth] and child Shirley Ann - departed Glasgow on SS Empire Brent on 1 April 1948 arrived in Brisbane 11 May 1948

Gwyn

Valerie

Valerie Report 29 Jul 2011 09:26

Hi Mollie

I can see Dorothy's recent death on the 'Ryerson's Index' ...13/4/11 ...death notice was in the 'Sunshine Coast Daily' (Maroochydore) 15/4/11.

'Ryersons' (on-line) will do a 'look-up' of this newspaper notice ...which may give family names etc ...this made provide a clue for finding Shirley.

Also ...if you have the name of the funeral director (from the newspaper) he/she MAY forward any mail to her ....as she may have well been the one to arrange/pay for her mother's (Dorothy's) funeral.

Valerie (WAus)

Mollie

Mollie Report 31 Jul 2011 08:33

Hi all
Thanks for your help/suggestions.
I am please to say I have found Shirley my 1st cousin and spoke to her in Queensland last week
I also have all the emigration information/ships lists of her mother Dorothy, my father's younger sister. Dorothy was 'given away' following the death of her mother 10 months after her daughter's birth,then formally by Mensforths.
It's just sad that this success has come so shortly after Dorothy's death in April of this year. It has been a long search.
Dorothy emigrated age 3, came back to England age 11, married then returned to Australia in 1948.
Again many thanks to all

Mollie :-)