Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding my dads sister Gillian Dyer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 12 Jul 2011 21:44

My brother and I are trying to trace my deceased fathers family and would like any help possible. He was called Leslie Arthur Dyer and was born in Norwich in 1921 to Sydney Arthur and Frances Dyer. We have been told he has a sister called Gillian Dyer who married a William Harrison but she emigrated in 1964 a year before she married and they had a child in 1966. They moved to America. I have also found a marriage in 1953 between Leslie A Dyer and a Pauline J Dudley Or Smith and I believe this is my father. This marriage was in Norwich where my father was from, but he moved to Stretham in Cambridgeshire with the family at some time before he died in 1972.

I appreciate that I don't know the resources available as well as some of you, so wondered if you could help.

Many thanks

Helen Comben nee Dyer

Flick

Flick Report 12 Jul 2011 21:51

http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1272766

Duplicate postings are not allowed, Helen...........

And Leslie was born in 1923!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Jul 2011 22:56

Sure she was called Gillian?

Births Sep 1928
Dyer Pamela M J Palmer St. Faith's 4b 119

Rose

Helen

Helen Report 12 Jul 2011 23:12

apologies i didn't realise this would be a duplicate posting as i am now looking to trace my fathers sister etc.

rose you are correct-i thought it was Pamela but someone knew her from school and said she was Gillian so I think the J may be Jillian and she just preferred it. i really want to find out where she is and any children and grandchildren...

many thanks

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jul 2011 00:28

The fact she had her first child in 1966 initially made me think she was a lot younger than Leslie. If she went to school with him though, she'd have to be closer in age.

Can't find a death for Frances Clara though.

Rose

Helen

Helen Report 14 Jul 2011 22:38

I am just trying to digest the enormity of your findings.....I never ever thought I would find this sort of information. I live in London now and to see my ancestors came from here too is fantastic. I hadn't checked the census. Can you clarify the family tree links as want to pursue them please?

Many many thanks

Helen

Helen

Helen Report 31 Jul 2011 21:01

Can posts disappear? It is just that someone very helpful posted alot of information from the 1900 and 1911 census and I was able to see my nans family. I have caught up with my nans cousins son and all this from a standing start of not k nowing any of this family. However those posts have now gone and when I go into the census it only gives me the entry for my nan Francs Palmer Born 1900 in St Giles London, but nothing about her parents or siblings. Can posts be removed and why would they if they were being very helpful? Could someone help me again please?

Many thanks

Helen

Many thanks

Helen

Flick

Flick Report 31 Jul 2011 21:58

??????????

Name: Oscar Palmer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Nellie Palmer
Where born: St Pancras, London, England

Civil parish: St Pancras
Ecclesiastical parish: St John the Evangelist
County/Island: London

Registration district: St Pancras
Sub-registration district: Tottenham Court
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 289
Piece: 138
Folio: 66
Page Number: 36
Household Members: Name Age
Oscar Palmer 25
Nellie Palmer 23
Frances Palmer 1
Minnie Smith 39

Flick

Flick Report 31 Jul 2011 22:03

Do you have your grandmother's marriage cert, confirming her father's details?

Flick

Flick Report 31 Jul 2011 22:04

1911 for the same child

Person: PALMER, Frances
Address: 15 Devonshire Street W C

PALMER, Helen Head Married
13 years F 31 1880 Office Cleaner London Drury Lane St Giles VIEW
PALMER, Frances Daughter F 11 1900 School London Engle Street St Giles VIEW
PALMER, Florence Daughter F 9 1902 School London Whitfield St Marylebone VIEW
SMITH, Minnie Sister Single F 48 1863 Washer Up London Drury Lane St Giles VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
1199 Reference:
RG14PN1199 RG78PN41 RD14 SD1 ED3 SN127

Registration District:
Holborn Sub District:
Holborn Enumeration District:
3 Parish:
St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr

Flick

Flick Report 31 Jul 2011 22:09

Her death? Slight discrepancy with second forename, but I think that can be ascribed to bad writing on the original

Name: Frances Alara Dyer
Birth Date: 29 Apr 1900
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1975
Age at Death: 75
Registration district: Ely
Inferred County: Cambridgeshire
Volume: 9
Page: 0862

Ancestry links it to the 1901 census entry...................

jax

jax Report 31 Jul 2011 22:41

I would say the the poster deleted??? cannot understand why anyone would give info then delete it ?

Helen

Helen Report 1 Aug 2011 22:41

Hi

Jax, my post had some fantastic replies. Someone cut lots of info out of the census and I was able to see Frances parents, siblings and identify that between 1900 and 1911 census my her parents weren't together, and someone told me my nan was in someone's tree. Well over the last 2 days this person has messaged me, and his mum is alive, and is my nans cousin and it has been to say the least one of the most monumental occasions in my life. She has been so pleased at the age of 98 to find out the story of one of her cousins, and she has described how my nans dad was injured and went home to his parents and would not come out of his room and died. I cannot thank people like flick, Sheila etc who have cut me records out, and if anyone has removed these replies because I didn't say thank you enough, or I didn't reply quickly enough....I can only say that you can not underestimate how grateful I was for this information and how much it meant to me. I work full time and have 3 small children and get on my computer infrequently.

So please if anyone else has anything they could help me with I am and shall remain so very thankful

Helen

Helen

Helen Report 1 Aug 2011 22:51

Flick,

I don't have that marriage certificate and that is my nans death 1975. Her middle name was Clara! She married Sydney Dyer and lived in Norfolk by 1923 as she had my dad in August 1923 and got married I think in the June!! I want to find living relatives. My brother wanted to find where our dad was buried and we have found him in Norwich which we wasn't expecting. We thought he was from Cambridgeshire but seems he was from Norwich, his mum from London and I would like to find out where Sydney was from so I could see why they went to Norwich. My broher has therefore achieved his goal but my goal is to find living relatives of my fathers. I grew up with a step dad who was not my dad and who was not like a dad. He wasn't someone either of us likes. It has been great to talk to my distant relative I have contacted via this site, but there must be descendents of leslies sister Pamela. Could you or anyone be able to guide me on where to go from here to find living relatives?

Many thanks Flick for your kind help.

Helen