General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looks like we can't win

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 May 2003 17:29

Ok - so we got loads of requests asking for threading and did it and now we get people complaining that we did. Can't win. The tips and guestbook need a way that people can set and answer questions - it makes it much easier. How about we add a members board in the old format that people who just want to chat can use.

Monica

Monica Report 31 May 2003 17:58

hi, I have replied to this on the other board, but I have another comment- I have yet to find anyone using the History board for its true purpose, could you think of getting rid of it so it will be one less board to read through, thanks( I will try to start a new thread with this idea for the practice if you don't mind)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 31 May 2003 19:39

Hi Stephen, I personally like the new look and I believe it will work much better. I've been very impressed with this site from the start. It has great features and I have noticed that there has been a concerted effort to listen to your customers and change the site to suit us. When I first joined this site,I emailed several questions to the company. The response was excellent and very quick. Unfortunately, there will always be people that don't appreciate change (which is their right) . However, I do think that you have made these changes to benefit us and I for one appreciate it. Thanks again Lesley PS I think Monica has a point re the history of the name messageboard- people are tending to use it for other purposes, however, i appreciate it if you don't want to remove all of their messages at this late stage. Perhaps you could make the intention of the surname messageboard clearer althoughI don't know how PPS Oops I think I have emailed you direct rather than posting this message. That wasn't my intention. sorry

Jane

Jane Report 31 May 2003 19:49

The threading is much better. One small tweak that might help all these moaners is to make the "title" bit in the message list show the first half a dozen words from the original message (for old messages). It does look a bit strange now with the name displayed twice. That said, in a week all the old messages will have scrolled off the bottom and everone will have stoped bitching.

Heather

Heather Report 31 May 2003 21:32

i think this will be much better once we all get used to it. i for one enjoy looking at the site probably more often than i should. heather

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 31 May 2003 21:45

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what History Message Board? Am I missing somtething? PS - I love the threads!! It will make things so much easier! Sally, Coventry

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 2 Jun 2003 00:08

Hi Sally, I think you only get access to the surname messageboards/history messageboards etc if you pay your annual £5 fee to join as a full member. You get loads of great features as a full member but I still am working out where everything is. The messageboards are possibly under your names. Lesley

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 2 Jun 2003 14:57

Thanks! I found them, but unfortunately there was only a couply of entries for my names, and nothing really useful. But at least I know where to check now! Thanks again! Sally, Coventry

Janet

Janet Report 14 Jun 2003 01:38

Don't get disheartened Stephen! You're doing a great job, which most people appreciate. People have different ideas about things, and there will always be someone who's upset by the change. (Just try being a Parish Councillor!) Janet. Northamptonshire.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2003 11:46

A big well done to Stephen & his associates. I like the new format. It was a pain having to go through page after page to find an old topic which was still generating replies.Jim, Gosport.

Rosi

Rosi Report 14 Jun 2003 11:56

I like the threads now I have got used to them - well done GC. I also think the idea of a Members Board in the old format is a good one - it will almost give us the best of both worlds! Order and Chaos! Go for it! Rosi.

Vera

Vera Report 14 Jun 2003 12:04

Srephen I agree with Jim & Rosi ( sounds like something from Childrens TV!!) a General/Members/Chat/Message Board in the old format would be helpful. Don't forget the old adage, Stephen - YOU CAN PLEASE MOST OF THE PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME, BUT YOU CANNOT PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME. Thanks, Vera B. Manchester

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jun 2003 14:01

Can I just repeat my request for the horizontal lines on the trees to vary in colour to make it easier to keep track when changing from one page to another on a large tree.