General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can you abolish the History Boards to cut down?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Monica

Monica Report 31 May 2003 18:01

Since I have not yet read one message on the History boards for my names that has anything to do with the origin of the name-- could you please get rid of them, especially as we have so many boards to read now. Thanks. Btw, Chiles means a helper or assistant to a Knight!

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 May 2003 18:18

It is being used quite a bit though - over 4,000 entries at the last count

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 31 May 2003 21:47

Oops! Added my last messgae to the wrong thread! Can someone please tell me what the History Board is? I cant find it? Am I missing something important? Regards Sally, Coventry

Christine

Christine Report 31 May 2003 22:44

Sally - if yu go to your 'name summary' and click on a name you will see at the bottom 'Hisoty board' 'trying to find' and 'general board' - the history board is - I think - supposed to be used for the 'history of the name' - origins etc, but the ones I've looked at are full of 'trying to finds'!! Hope this helps Christine, Billingham,Cleveland

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 31 May 2003 22:46

Thanks Christine! I have had a look at my names and there is only a couple of entries, and not they are Trying to Finds! Nothing really useful there then! Regards Sally, Coventry

Monica

Monica Report 31 May 2003 23:32

OK, I concede defeat, but could people please use them properly for the origin of names and not put trying to find messages on them

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Jun 2003 08:38

The history boards are a good idea, it's the users who are corrupting them. It needs an explanation at the top to say something like "Use this board ONLY to give interesting facts or legends about the origins of this surname".

Vera

Vera Report 1 Jun 2003 09:02

I have added the meaning of some some of my names which is OK, but if I want to see the meaning of the name CHILES where do I look. As it is not on my 'Names Summary' I cannot access it. Or can I? Vera, Manchester

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jun 2003 15:28

Hi all, I use the History Boards to tell where I have found the earliest reference to that Surname in my Tree. It could be useful to researchers who have found that their ancestors suddenly appeared from somewhere. I feel this is a more useful application than simply reading that the name Smith was probably because an ancestor was one. Also, as Vera says, it would be useful to access names which we do not have specifically on our trees. (See my msg on the Guest Book re Non Standard Spellings) Jim, Gosport.