General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 4 Jun 2003 07:28

This probably sounds naive, but how do I begin to research Parish Registers in England and Wales? Colin Abbott Western Australia [email protected]

Martin

Martin Report 4 Jun 2003 07:48

Are you going to search films/fiche at a FRC or wanting to search online? If you are starting with the IGI etc at the LDS WWW site then I would use this site rather than the LDS direct. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#Page It will let you search one period at one church at a time. If you search on a surname then (if you are lucky!) a whole family sometimes appears. Download the results into a GEDCOM file to save writing it all down, you can import this into a family tree program later. Searching the IGI direct for just a surname often can produce too many results. Martin

Lynne

Lynne Report 4 Jun 2003 17:51

Martin I just tried the site you suggested and got the 'page cannot be displayed' message. I know I entered it correctly because I copied and pasted it from your message. Any advice? Lynne

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jun 2003 07:33

I AM VERY FRUSTRATED, TRIED FINDING THE PARISH REGISTERS, AS SUGGESTED BUT IT KEPT FLASHING UP AND DISSAPEARING ..PLEASE HELP .TRACEY

Colin

Colin Report 5 Jun 2003 13:10

Re: Parish Registers. It's clearly not all hunky dory ... but thanks for your assistance, Rosalind Young and Martin Briscoe. Colin Hugh Abbott. Western Australia. (born Watford Herts 1943)