General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

batch numbers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wilf

Wilf Report 4 Jun 2003 13:14

Hi all I have just been in touch with my local register office to try and order by mail my greatgrandfather's marriage certificate.However,they say they do not recognise the Mormon index batch number and will only accept the St.Catherines' batch number.What I need to know is,is the batch number universal to all sites i.e one batch number only. Thanks for any help you can give. Regards, Will

Vera

Vera Report 4 Jun 2003 14:26

The batch nos on the LDS site are for their own use. The numbers & letters on the St Catherines House indexes, e.g 1a 236 - are for the use of the Office of National Statistics in Southport. The local register office do not need this number in full, except that the first number and small letter do indicate the area of the country where the registration took place. Depending which years the No 1 was for the London area, no. 8 being Lancashire, no. 10 being Durham with all the others in between going up the country (England) then back to Wales with No 11. Books are available from the Society of Genealogists listing the Registration Districts. Try their web site. Vera, Manchester

David

David Report 5 Jun 2003 00:21

The LDS batch numbers refer to the source of the original records that the LDS Church used to generate the entries in the IGI. If you go to an LDS Family History Centre they can order a filmed copy of the source records. This is usualy a parish record but could be derived from research by a member of the LDS Church. The information given is much more than that shown by the IGI alone. In the case of a Church wedding you will get a copy of the original entry including signatures, not a copy of a copy, as is the case from a registrar. All for less than half the price of a registrar's certificate!