General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GC Please Reply

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jun 2003 18:30

Once again I am asking why we can't have a complete alphabetical list of all the surnames on the site? There are 17 Botterells on the site according to "Name Summary" So I went into search, typed in Botterill and found a big batch of them. Same again with Bottrill, lots. How many other spellings of one of my ancestral names are there? I am probably missing the one who will prove to be a link. Please, please, GC Can we have an alphabetical list? Can we? Can we? Please....? Jim. Gosport.

Vera

Vera Report 12 Jun 2003 08:15

Jim That sounds like a good idea, Jim. GC take note, please. Our Bromage name can be spelt so many different ways, too. Bromwich, Brommage, Bramich, Brumich, Bromidge, Bromige, etc. etc. The thing is that I am fairly sure that they are all the same family but in dfferent areas of the country with different accents. Vera B, Manchester

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2003 10:50

Not sure I understand this one - how would we know to link surnames together?

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Jun 2003 11:40

What I think Jim is looking for is a phonetic "fuzzy search" on surnames similar to that used on the LDS site, where you can choose between that and exact spelling.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2003 14:57

Brian has a point, that we could maybe have a Soundex search, but I was really saying that if we had the same access to ALL surnames, not just the ones we have in our own trees, it would be more useful. For example If I heard that my nth/great/grancestor was Lord Coughalot, I have no way of posting a message on the "Trying to Find a Coughalot" page as I currently have none in my tree. Also under the present scheme I would have to post the same message on the Coffalot page, and any other spelling I can think of. Surely it would be better to have a link between names which have common origin? And as to how do we know which ones? I am sure each of us has enough knowledge of our own families to agree them. Jim, Gosport.

Alison

Alison Report 12 Jun 2003 22:26

A list of all the surnames would be a good idea, maybe just alphabetical that link to the trying to find messages. I recieved an email today from someone related who spelled their name differently , it was one spelling that I had not thought of, I now have a lot of possible relatives that I would not of thought to look for.