General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just starting!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 20 Jun 2003 11:32

Hi, As the title suggests I've just started this line of research, so anyone got any ideas on how to get past just one generation of my family tree? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advanced. Pete

Vera

Vera Report 20 Jun 2003 11:56

Peter King Welcome to GC (as we call it now) I suggest you go to Your Home Page scroll down to where it says Your Family Tree and click on where it says Click Here. Good article on how to get started taken from a new Magazine. You could also read the message boards - if you can read in between the lines ignoring all the jokes that seem to have been added recently. The Members Board has been put on the site for members to communicate between ourselves and generally let off steam. It is not for posting Trying to Find messages (T2Fs) Please make sure that any messages posted on the site are put on the correct board. Read the statement at the top of each board which explains the type of message that should be on there. In fact read everything on the site itself, lots of info if you look. Good Luck with your research and ask lots of questions. Vera, Manchester LAN (getting down off her soap box again, sorry?

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 21 Jun 2003 14:38

Well said Vera as your usual self very helpfull,you must be an old hand at this please excuse the pun. Welcome to you Peter and what a wonderful surname it's the same as mine before I married,my rely's came from Bristol and i've just got my g.granddads birth cert this morning and it feels great. Jill from Cardiff

Monica

Monica Report 23 Jun 2003 21:40

Welcome Peter to the crazy world of searching for dead people and annoying your partner because they haven't got the bug! You have a good name cos I have Kings in my tree- Mary Ann and Matilda daughters of JamesKing from Islington

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 23 Jun 2003 22:39

Welcome Peter, I also have Kings in my family tree! The best advice that I can give to you is, any questions that you want answering, please put onto the appropriate board. GC members are very helpful, and have taught me all that I know!