General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Y.h.o

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2003 18:47

I tried sending someone a suggestion that they use a search engine like Yahoo or Google, but Yahoo didn't come up. I changed it to Jeeves or Google and that came up OK. Has anyone else found that certain words go missing? Jim Gosport, HAM

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 20 Jun 2003 18:52

yes jim,i called my worm bugbear,a little devil but only devil came up. sue

Crista

Crista Report 20 Jun 2003 19:49

My guess is anything that could appear in an email address gets removed when you write messages. For obvious reasons, I'm sure the major domain names are blocked.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2003 19:58

But " Yahoo " came up on this Board, why not the Tips Board? I typed that Y word where the quotation marks are. Jim

Crista

Crista Report 20 Jun 2003 20:17

I tried to type the "Y" word too but it wouldn't appear. Maybe words like that can be typed in the original message but not in replies?

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2003 21:16

Had same problem with the "Y" word,l got in a rite muddle with message and sent email instead!! Jude.H.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2003 21:48

Does this mean that our messages are being filtered or censored? I thought that was illegal. Public response please GC Jim

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 20 Jun 2003 21:49

hope not jim. dont want everybody knowing about my flange! sue

Crista

Crista Report 20 Jun 2003 22:17

James, I think it means there is software in place to selectively remove these words. That's what I assume. I doubt it's illegal. If everyone were allowed to post their email addresses, GenesConnected would never make a profit.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2003 23:59

Maybe GC could let us have a list of the BANNED words. ( But I think we probably know most of the rude ones so they needn't list them) Jim, Gosport, HAM