General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shropshire knowledge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 23 Jun 2003 20:52

Hi there - does anyone know where Harley in Shropshire was? I'd like it to be near Ludlow - but it isn't listed in the 2000 Atlas I am using as a rough guide. Any info gratefully received. Ta. Rosi Colchester ESS oops might be on wrong board - I'll post to tips too!

Rosi

Rosi Report 23 Jun 2003 21:38

Thanks Ros - it is in approx. the right area then. Am gathering a small list of people/births/marriages/deaths I need to search for in the approx. area and hope to be able to visit for a few days in a week or two to do so. Would the parish records for Ludlow ish be kept there or Shrewsbury or where- do you know? Rosi Colchester ESS

Rosi

Rosi Report 23 Jun 2003 21:55

Ros - I am very green on this - as must be obvious- but by 'film' do you mean a microfiche thingy? which will need a viewer? and/or do I hire one of those too? The nearest LDS is in Ipswich - not too far away from Colchester - so should not pose too much of a problem to get to them. Rosi, Colchester ESS

Allie

Allie Report 24 Jun 2003 06:46

Rosi, Harley is'nt all that far from Ludlow. It is well known here as there is a huge bank (Harley Bank) through the village that is awful to drive through. I would offer to do the look up for you as I live in Shrewsbury but I struggle to get any research done as I have 2 boys under the age of 5 who are a handful and would not be very welcome at most places. If I can help you with any other info though, Please let me know! Allie, Shropshire.

Rosi

Rosi Report 24 Jun 2003 11:05

Allie - thanks so much for your offer _i do understand re the babes. I'm grandma age myself- and find I can only cope with one of the six at a time. How I manged with three under fives when Iwas younger I dunno!He please look in the phone book - how many Hardmans are there compared to Heardmans? I suspect I'm looking for a Hardman many more ofthem in the right area than the Heardman on the marriage record I have. Ta. Rosi Colchester ESS

Allie

Allie Report 24 Jun 2003 19:41

Rosi, Hd a look in the phone book for you. Sorry, but there are no Hardman's or Heardman's in this directory. However, I looked for any variations on the name and came up with these. There is a Hardeman in Oakengates which is now in Telford. There is a Hardham in Stiperstones which is going more in the South Shropshire direction of which you are interested in. There is a Hardiman in Whixhall, which is more North Shropshire. Theres a Heard in Bridgnorth which is again S. Shropshire and a Heathman which I got my hubby to be to phone directory enquiries about. The address given was very ambiguous (is that how you spell it) So checked out the area code which happens to be the area of Clun, Which isn't very far from Ludlow. If I can be of any further assistance, Please let me know. P.S. If you want any info on the names i have given you, email me direct. Regards, Allie, Shropshire.

Rosi

Rosi Report 24 Jun 2003 21:15

Ali you really are a star* - and so is your soon to be other half for making spurious phone calls at your behest on behalf of a grandma he's never met! Thanks- both of you - very much indeed. I think I may have to go back to the drawing board with my Heardman/Hardman conundrum. Priscilla H married my 2g grandfather Crispin Reynolds in <1817. in Ludlow - but I cannot find a birth or family for her anywhere in the area - but I can find at least two lots of Hardmans- but it's all conjecture on my part and I do know how assume can make an ass out of u and me! Would like to prove what I think - but I reckon it will involve a visit to the area. Not 100% sure how that will help either - but the country around Ludlow is great - and Ludlow church has superb misericords in it's church I seem to remember! Thanks again - Rosi

Helen

Helen Report 24 Jun 2003 22:34

I live in Yorkshire but my ancestors pre 1890 came from Shropshire. It's great to see all these place names being mentioned. Although I've not visited the area, I feel I already know it! My family came from mainly Dawley and Wellington but also Oakengates, Much Wenlock, Shifnal and the earliest ones (1700's)Donington.

Allie

Allie Report 24 Jun 2003 23:07

Helen, It is sad really in a way, but most if not all of the places that you have mentioned were all villages? towns? in their own right at one time. Since the creation of Telford, all the surrounding places were swallowed up and have now created a big new town, to the abhorrance of the people who have lived here all their lives along with their ancestors and have their own history which they want to keep as being individual from the new town. These people just want their heritage to remain as it was, as individual towns and villages. O.K. I have bow got off my local soapbox. Allie,SAL.

Deborah

Deborah Report 25 Jun 2003 19:23

Hi there, my Grandmother's family originated from Shropshire and I know my Greats are buried in the churchyard at Leaton. Does anyone know which church this might be and is it easy to find? I was thinking of driving over to have a look round in the next couple of weeks.

Allie

Allie Report 25 Jun 2003 20:17

Deborah, There is only one church in Leaton and it is beautiful. I was there last year at a family wedding. If you are driving over you will be pleased to know that there is a big parking area alongside the church. It's very easy to find as it is on the main Shrewsbury to Baschurch road. Thats the B5067. If you have an AA 2003 road atlas, it's p.22,B6. Regards, Allie,SAL

Deborah

Deborah Report 25 Jun 2003 21:26

thanks Allison. You have also helped me with another little mystery. On the 1881 census I think I may have found my G grandfather and it states the dwelling was Yeaton and the census place was Baschurch. If it is him, he was born in Kinnerley, is that anywhere near also? You have been a big help and I am getting excited now as things are moving on again. have got to visit Leaton now.

Allie

Allie Report 26 Jun 2003 09:41

Deborah, Hope this helps: Yeaton rang a bell, but I had to look it up as I wasn't sure if it was in the same area, but you are right it is just off the B5067 between Leaton and Baschurch. Kinnerley is slightly further afield, but still the same area. It is just the other side of the main A5,about 6 miles away. Allie SAL.

Rosi

Rosi Report 27 Jun 2003 11:00

Thankyou William for your very kind offer. Much as I would like to take you up on it, Kinnerley is a bit far from Ludlow and surrounding villages - where my several g's grandparents tied the knot. However, if you meant that you would poke about a bit for me in the records kept in the Shrewsbury RO when you next visit your folks, please get in touch and I will give you the sparse details I have and would like verification of. Thanks again for offering to help. Rosi Colchester ESS

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Jul 2003 22:00

Did any of you know that the local shop in Knockin is called 'The Knockin Shop'? It's actually painted on the sign!

Rosi

Rosi Report 1 Jul 2003 23:04

I didn't know that Jenny - but it's a bit of knowledge that I shall treasure for a long time. Thankyou. Rosi