General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aussies - native or ex-pat?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 5 Jul 2003 03:29

Hello all of you. I've noticed that there a quite a few Aussies on this site, are you ex pat brits or true blues? I've lived in Sydney since 1990, but originally from Edinburgh and Bournemouth!! Di

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 5 Jul 2003 06:32

Hi Diane, Im from Tayport, Living in Victoria. Nice to meet you. Also been in Edinburgh & Bournemouth. Bill.

Colin

Colin Report 5 Jul 2003 10:18

Hello Diane, Colin here from Jarrahdale in Western Australia. I was born in Watford in 1943. I lived in dozens of cities and towns in England, several towns and cities in both North and South Wales, Belfast and various towns in Northern Ireland.I spent a couple of beautiful months in Edinburgh in 1964, I lived in Glasgow, I lived in Jersey and Guernsey...and...after all that...I was so tired that I came to Australia in January 1969, to get some peace and quiet.I walked the streets of Bournemouth for one day in 1964. Gosh, that sounds very boring...but, in fact, I've had a great life! Best wishes, Diane, Colin.

Christine

Christine Report 6 Jul 2003 01:38

hi diane i'm chris living in victoria i'm english never got nationalized and will allways be english was born in blackpool then cheshire and coming back to england for a holiday in october chris

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 6 Jul 2003 11:05

will an ex-pat New Zealander do? Originally from Kingston-on-Thames, also lived in the Lake District for a few years. Emigrated to Oz when I was 19, married a Kiwi and ended up here - the Land of the Long White Cloud - land of the freezing cold at the moment!! roll on summer!!

Colin

Colin Report 6 Jul 2003 12:31

Christine, you'll wish you were true blue when the "Poo" wins Wimbledon shortly...

Diane

Diane Report 7 Jul 2003 06:06

Hey you guys, nice to hear from you. OOps I should've welcomed NZ too! I never bothered becoming a true blue ozzie, but I am wondering if I should take out citizenship soon! Maybe we should affix our home town after our name when we leave messages? I won't feel so alone then. And thanks for replying Di PS Hard luck for all you 'POO' fans out there, I did stay up to watch the final, but I thought he did OK. Haven't they renamed Henman Hill Mt. Phillipoussis?????

Christine

Christine Report 7 Jul 2003 07:08

so anybody in north of england looking for nice cheap b&bs. no wasn't upset when "poo" lost, but anyone out there that is a west ham fan got one living here chris

Diane

Diane Report 7 Jul 2003 07:22

Hi Chris No I wasn't too upset that he lost either! Unfortunately, I support Hibernian (Scottish League) although West Ham are OK. Would like nice cheap B&B, but might need nice cheap flight to go with it! I think all the Brits are just about having brekky now....?Me, I'm not far off going home for the day..and maybe do some more of this... Di

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Jul 2003 10:59

hi, Jacqueline here from Mandurah, in West Aussie. I left UK so long ago, that Chelsea was then second div. team. I came here from Margate in Kent in 1971 and didn't take citizenship until about '89 (we used to call it having a frontal labotomy, but once you become an australian, you don't laugh at that any more) now when I look at the union jack, it just seems like most of the flag's missing.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 7 Jul 2003 11:04

im also a west ham fan,so is my son an aunt of mine was deported to taz in 1831 does that count sue

Judith

Judith Report 7 Jul 2003 12:19

I am Australian descended many gens back from the Irish ,English and Danish - in the end we are all immigrants.I am on here trying to trace my husband's family - he never knew his father. My husband emmigrated in 1970 and after 30 years decided this is where he belonged and became an Australian Citizen.Seemed like the right thing to do although he still supports the British Rugby team. Here on the North Coast of NSW we are in the middle of winter sunny days 18 deg - not bad eh!! .I won't gloat ,it will only last a few days. Judith

Phyllis

Phyllis Report 23 Aug 2003 14:52

Hi Di, I have been called everything and probably belong in the middle of the Pacific or Atlantic ocean. I was born in New Zealand, but went to England from age 1-2 years, NZ 2-5yrs, USA from age 5-8, NZ from 8-14, back to UK from 14-19, NZ from 19-22 and UK again from 23-24, then settled in Australia! Yes I got confused but have always FELT at least part English as my grandparents are from there and I lived there alot when I was growing up and in particular spent most of my teens there.

Diane

Diane Report 24 Aug 2003 13:02

Hi Phyllis Where abouts in Oz are you? I'm in Sydney... Di

Iris

Iris Report 24 Aug 2003 13:40

Hi Diane Hello from Queensland Australia, originally from London nice to meet you. Been in Oz for 35 years now cheers Iris.