General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BEGINNERS BOARD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 12 Jul 2003 16:38

I've just been rereading the comments about someone asking for help with the 1901 Census. Some of the more experienced are clearly getting upset about the same questions being asked over and over again,(I am not quite a beginner, but haven't got as much experience as some) Would it be practical, to have a BEGINNERS BOARD and a (got to be careful here I might upset some) NOT FOR BEGINNERS BOARD? The trouble is we are going to get overrun with boards soon, they take long enough to read as it is. Any Comments? June,Nr.Preston.Lan.

Diane

Diane Report 12 Jul 2003 17:14

Hi! We are all here for the same reason and I don't think that anyone should get impatient when the same questions are asked! Everyone was a beginner at some stage or other and that shouldn't be forgotten! Alternatively, most people post useful info on the tips board and eventually something sticks! Don't be put off! There is always someone who will help, 'nearly a beginner' Di Sydney

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 12 Jul 2003 17:37

I only started doing my family tree in March, when I discovered GenesConnected. I have posted questions on here many times and the helpful people on here have taught me all that I know! Don't be frightened to ask anything, because in my experience whatever question you ask, there will always be someone who will answer it. Maggy,West Yorkshire

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 12 Jul 2003 19:28

Hi all, as my nan used to say if you don't ask you'll never find out.So don't be afraid to ask questions,I did when I first started a good few months back and I'm still asking now and the questions always get answered.We should all help one way or another,without no questions asked(please excuse the pun)keep up the good work thanks. Jill

Colette

Colette Report 13 Jul 2003 11:48

Hi I'm a complete rookie and was amazed at the unkind remark made by one person on a question posed by another rookie, and was quite upset, although it wasn't levelled at me personally. We all have to start somewhere, and I hope that when I get on a bit I can give back all the help I've received to others' just starting out. One kind lady, after I'd made a comment that I too wanted to know about the point in question re 1891 decoder, has actually e-mailed me and gulvinised me into action by offering to set me an exercise to do, once I've completed the download of the 1891 decoder. Now that is what it is all about, although I suppose you're bound to get a few who are a cut above the rest of us. After a week of looking at the message boards I have learnt so much from so many helpful people. Thanks to everyone who has been so patient.

Graham

Graham Report 13 Jul 2003 17:20

I can understand the reason for the suggestion, but agree that you'll get plenty of help from those who can. I can imagine that a 'Beginners Board' will soon get filled with people asking for information on family members like most of the other boards, rather than putting them on the Trying to Find one, which I have to admit is a tad irritating when I see the same people patiently explaining about the Trying to Find board's existence. Bad Graham - smack on wrist.... Graham

Andrea

Andrea Report 14 Jul 2003 08:50

I know the same questions get asked over and over, but for newbies starting this week for example - how long would it take them to trail through all the boards looking for the answer to their particular problem - a few years perhaps?! I think we have all got to be patient and help each other out. I am forever asking for help and have always been answered (for which I am VERY grateful) and if I then read a message later on asking the same thing, I am only to happy to help out with my "new" knowledge - as I think should be the case. There will always be a few that get impatient with us beginners. Maybe they have forgotten what it is like in the beginning. But I would say that for the most part, people on these boards are extremely helpful and don't make you feel bad for asking questions - even if they have been asked a thousand times already. I am not sure another board would really help as, I think someone has already said, there are just so many boards already. If (like me) you try and catch up with all the boards every time you come on, you miss more in the time it takes you to catch up!! Just post your questions as usual on the tips board and they will always get answered. We are a friendly, helpful bunch on the whole!!

Colette

Colette Report 16 Jul 2003 17:16

Thanks to everyone out there with the positive replies for us "newbies". Also a correction, should have said 1901 decoder. Was in a hissy fit at the time over that woman's remarks-won't say the name, she'll probably have me up for slander!