General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pleased re Certs. but......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Jul 2003 21:54

I got all the Certs I sent for this morning and am delighted - but one of them is a bit of a problem to read. Could the occupation be a 'paper stainer'? And the Maiden Name looks like 'Purkings' but I cannot find another one! Definitely ends 'kings' or 'P**rk* tailed letter then 'es' or 's'. Any brainwaves anyone? Rosi. Colch. ESS

Crista

Crista Report 19 Jul 2003 22:05

Rosi, What year is the certifcate from, what age is the bride and what from what district? Crista

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Jul 2003 22:49

Crista, Cert. is Birth, Haggerston(e) West, 1845. the babe is John Kearns, mother is Mary Ann Kearns, formerly P*gs?, and occupation of father possibly, as speculated, 'paper stainer' ? Rosi Colchester ESS

Crista

Crista Report 19 Jul 2003 23:03

Is it Purkiss? Crista

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Jul 2003 23:33

Crista, Possibly - if its Purkyss ! there is def. a tailed letter either pre penultimately or penultimately. Shall I send you a scan copy ofthe Cert? That way you might see what the problem is! Will have to be tomorrow tho - the old scanner is rip - and I haven't quite sussed how to use the new one yet - thus need help to complete even the simplest of tasks that involve using it!

Crista

Crista Report 19 Jul 2003 23:47

Rosi, Send me a copy when you get a chance. Do you know where Mary was from originally? It might help trying to guess the surname. Maybe someone with access to the 1851 census can look up Mary Kearns to see where she was born? Crista

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 20 Jul 2003 04:37

Hi Auntie Rosi, Any chance of cc-ing me with a copy, just out of interest? I take it its the marriage cert of George and Sarah which is proving troublesome, I found it myself today on Ancestry and wondered whether to send for it but this will save me doing that! Love Liz xxx

Rosi

Rosi Report 20 Jul 2003 09:50

Hallo shiny new niece, yes of course you can have a copy - once I have sussed the scanner! Have also some others that may be of interest to you. Am going to give the originals to Christine as a present on her birthday - and Felix'n Emmas Wedding Day. Rosi

Rosi

Rosi Report 20 Jul 2003 13:49

Shiny new niece - praps you need a shiny new mailbox- have tried to send 2 certs to you - both returned, and then the following note also returned - server says your mailbox is full! Or have I not got the correct e mail address? Luv, Rosi (Dull Old Aunt?)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 20 Jul 2003 14:57

Hi Shiny Sparkly Aunt, One message and one certificate received so far, try the cert now, and fingers crossed. I think my server is playing up as my mailbox is far from full, Love Shiny weary neice xxx

Rosi

Rosi Report 20 Jul 2003 22:34

Hi Shiny but weary new niece. Tried to send you the cert again nad separately a note telling you what I had done. Both spat out by your server (I think!) Anyway - I got em back! Only hope that Yvonne is not getting Certs of mine/yours cramming her mailbox to bursting point too! btw- as I can't send you mail by the usual method - I think Yvonne/you may be right- and it IS Purkiss! The scribe has written the name Mossen/Mosson - and the second of the two S's in that has a tail very similar to that in the mystery name. LDS has a possible- Mary Ann Purkess so maybe, just maybe....... I haven't checked me lottry tickets either yet - so maybe.....just maybe.... Rosi