General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GORDON BENNETT - honestly!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2003 16:52

To all who were wondering who the Gordon Bennett James Gordon Bennett was I shall tell you: James Gordon BENNETT 1841-1918 son of a father of the same name was a journalist, born in New York, and editor of the New York Herald (the same as his father). In 1870, he was the man who sent Henry Morton STANLEY to find David LIVINGSTONE and with the Daily Telegraph financed Livingstone's Congo journey in 1874-78. Bet you always wanted to know that, didn't you? Vera Manchester LAN

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2003 17:14

Ray Not just London - we used/use it in Lancs, too, with the same implications. Vera - taking a bow, thank you.

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jul 2003 17:23

I always wondered who he was! Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Charlie Drake who made the expression so popular? It's used in Northamptonshire too, along with Oo-er gal! and You 'avin' a larff? Janet Northamptonshire

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jul 2003 17:25

Vera Welldone for finding The real Gorden Bennett.I think its used nation wide, l used to say it to my mum (under my breath) if she did'nt let me have my own way, that way(if she heard my mutterings) atleast l was'nt swearing!!!! Jude

gjb

gjb Report 2 Dec 2004 04:08

I suppose I could claim to be the original Gordon Bennett! I have collected masses of info on my namesake - if you are interested I would be happy to share info with you. Regards Gordon Bennett

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 2 Dec 2004 04:40

My now deceased Uncle used the expresion all the time. Thanks for the origin of it. Deb