General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please!!Does anyone transcribe for the Freecen sit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 18 Aug 2003 19:15

Can anyone tell me if they trancribe for Freecen? Is it easy and what does WINCENS and SSCENS format mean I am an old thicky but still willing to learn!!! Ann,Darlington

Janet

Janet Report 20 Aug 2003 12:08

I've added a message to bring this one to the top again, as there is a discussion taking place on the Tips Board about FreeBMD, and some interesting information about transcribing for Freecen is emerging. Title of thread is 'I've signed up for FreeBMD as well' Janet Northamptonshire

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 20 Aug 2003 14:02

Thanks for your reply Janet I think i will volunteer but not until after September. Do you know what WINSENCS format is? Ann,Darlington

Janet

Janet Report 20 Aug 2003 16:14

No, sorry Ann, I don't have any idea! I've looked at the site, and it looks to me as if you need a Microfiche reader, which I haven't got. You don't have to have one when transcribing for FreeBMD. When I get a few minutes spare, I'll contact them and find out more about it, because it all seems a little confusing at first glance! Regards Janet. Northamptonshire

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 20 Aug 2003 19:53

Janet Yes you are right you do need access to a fiche reader so it doesn't sound very easy maybe that's why they are struggling to find volunteer's. I have mailed them and will let you know what the reply is I may offer myself to FreeBMD--to transcribe that is Ann,Darlington

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 20 Aug 2003 22:07

Hi Janet Had a reply apparently they are also about to do 1861 for Durham and that is on CD so have offered to do that. Regrds Ann,Darlington