General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone point me in the right direction

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Aug 2003 21:32

Been trying genealogy since June, haven't found a thing. I don't understand the jargon, can't get started can anyone advise me Pleeese!

Laurie

Laurie Report 20 Aug 2003 21:54

Hi Margaret, What are you stuck on? I'm no expert but might be able to help. Laurie

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 20 Aug 2003 22:09

Margaret Tell us where you have started from and where you have looked. Then we may be able to help or some one will as people on here are very helpful. Ann,Darlington

Keith

Keith Report 20 Aug 2003 22:22

Hi Margaret. Try getting one of the common "How to" books there are several all of fairly good quality. Also try buying Family Tree Magazine as it has a very good beginers guide inside the cover of the Magazine and a look through the articles letter etc will give you clues to what it's all about. Main tip is always start from what you KNOW. Good hunting. Keith

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Aug 2003 22:39

Hi Laurie, Ann and Keith, I paid for research on both my parents sides and got back to 1816 on my fathers side and to my mothers parent wedding of 1907. Paying for research is expensive so I thought I would try and do it myself. but I'm having great difficulty understanding where to go on rootsweb, is this site actually free? when I try to get any info it asks for a subscription. Basically I don't know how to get started. Maggie

Tricia

Tricia Report 20 Aug 2003 22:50

Hi If you click on the links on the left hand side of this page, you will find the Family search site of the LATTER DAY SAINTS. They give you a good guide to getting started on your research. You can also find a lot of information on the site. Tricia

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 21 Aug 2003 09:06

Margaret Can I back up what William has said about the Mormon or Church of the Latter Day saints have a look up in the phone book and give them a ring they often have new poeple starting off and give you loads of help and advice you may have to book an appiontment but do give them a ring. Ann,Darlington ps are there any courses near you that are free i went on one last year and that was a help plus you meet people who are all new to this family tree thing.

Helen

Helen Report 21 Aug 2003 13:58

Margaret You say you have details of your Grandparents wedding in 1907? Does this mean you have their marriage certificate? If not get it ordered (costs about £7)and this will give you their father's names. You should then be able to find your Grandparents with their families on the 1901 Census.

John

John Report 21 Aug 2003 19:59

Margaret One of the hardest parts is getting information for the last 100 years. This is really information that you need to find from living relatives. It's not easy but that is what makes this a challenge. Once you find some names (particularly if you can get back to the 1901 census) you will be away. It's like a jig saw puzzle. Then you have to be careful not to get hooked. John

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2003 11:43

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message, I appreciate the help Maggie

Eve

Eve Report 24 Aug 2003 18:23

Hello Margaret Join a local Family History Society it doesn't cost very much. They usually have a meeting once a month (not as a rule in August). And have a wealth of information. They are always willing to help. I am in about five. I have been doing this research for a few years now it is addictive but great. Regards Eve from Yorkshire.