General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 28 Aug 2003 20:07

I am a novice at researching my family tree. I have details of grandparents and have a family Bible which has D.O.B. of one branch although these details are hard to read and understand. Please can anyone offer any suggestions on how to research my family tree, I just don't know where to start. I don't have much spare time as I work fulltime and am also studying for an NVQ 3

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 28 Aug 2003 20:34

The main thing to remember is you cannot hurry genealogy! It takes plenty of time, patience and unfortunately cash. However, as you will see from these messages once you get started you are quickly hooked and it is such a thrill to find a date, address or grave - let alone a new name! Best advice is two-fold 1. Start by talking to everyone in your family and noting names and dates. Also remember to take copies of ANY documents they have with names, addresses or dates. 2. Invest in a basic Family Tree/History book from WHSmiths or similar which will set you on your way - if poss get a new one as it will include internet info. I suppose also ought to say to keep reading tips board!! Very best of luck, ENJOY!!

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 29 Aug 2003 21:06

Thanks Marion When you say buy a Family tree book do you have any titles that you think are especially good? My gran, when she knew I was interested in this started to write names on the back of photos, she said she needed to write it down as when she was gone no-one else would be able to tell me their names. Sadly she died at the begining of this year but I want to do this for her Louise

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 29 Aug 2003 21:47

I have been doing this for a long time (older than I sound) so my 'beginners' books are well out of date! HOWEVER ... if you think you are going to take it up seriously as a hobby and want to invest, then I would seriously recommend Ancestral Trails by Mark Herber - 'the complete guide to British genealogy and family history', published in association with the Society of Genealogists. Costs around £20.00 so a good Xmas request. Your local library should have a copy of this. Have a browse in Smiths if you want something more affordable - I know there are Pocket Reference Books for just a few quid that will get you started. Maybe other folks have some titles they can recommend ....

Kim

Kim Report 29 Aug 2003 21:48

I too work full time and have just started my family tree. I havent had to spend any money yet but I have gone onto the links and used the 1901 census, the 1881 census and also searched by addresses.When I get some spare dosh I will purchase all the certificates. Start with your parents and slowly work your way back. I went on one side of the family and in a few clicks I have got back to 1794!Mind you it gets complicated when there are ten children to then look up. If you need any help let me know..the blind leading the blind!Good luck

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 29 Aug 2003 21:51

Sorry to hear about your gran. She was right though, always write everything down, and write down where you found it out too. Then remember where you wrote it down....! The next thing for you to consider is family tree software, for storing all your info ... but read magazine reviews for this and ask opinions on the tips board of course. XX

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 29 Aug 2003 22:16

When I first started, in March this year, I printed some Family History Forms out from the home page of the Family Search website, and started by writing down what little information that I had. My biggest tip would be to keep looking at the boards on this website, and make a note of any tips that you think may help! Maggy, West Yorkshire

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Aug 2003 23:21

Louise Don't rush it history will not go away!!! back up what you find on-line with certs and parish records as transcriptions can have mistakes in them but take your time it's not a race to see how many people you can find Ann,Darlington

Keith

Keith Report 29 Aug 2003 23:29

Best of luck Louise, it won't be long before you are as addicted as the rest of us. Try Family Tree Magazine which has a starters guide in the front and back cover, has useful articles and a good computer insert in the middle. It also has a very wide book listin the middle for postal purchases. Good hunting

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 30 Aug 2003 08:16

Wow, thank you everyone for your replies.I didn't think anyone would reply to my cry for help, thank you. Lou

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 30 Aug 2003 13:49

What are the details most important to have.I presume full name, d.o.b. and d.o.d. (if dead). What else is important to know, also how do I find out details of my great, great grandparents? Do i need to look at my great grandparents birth certificate? Lou

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 30 Aug 2003 14:07

Louise, If you happen to live in the area your ancestors were living, try the local library. There would be copies of the orignal births, marriages and deaths on microfiche which you can check. I have managed to get photocopies of many of these entries for one of my lines. Elisabeth

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 30 Aug 2003 14:10

Louise, Ancestral Trails is an excellent book, if you want something a bit easier on the pocket then Tracing Your Family Tree by Jean Cole and John Titford is a very good guide, also an invaluable reference work is The Family and Local History Handbook, costs £10, but has alsorts of useful addresses for libraries, record offices, LDS history centres, register offices and much much more. work back one stage at a time, your birth certificate gives your parents names, their marriage certificate gives their fathers names, which allows you to find their birth certificates and so on. Don't try and skip one or you might go down the wrong road. Enjoy your research. Ros

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 30 Aug 2003 14:10

Thanks Elizabeth i think i was chatting to you this morning on members board Lou

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 30 Aug 2003 14:14

Thanks Ros aswell Lou