General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How they died:((

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 4 Sep 2003 08:53

I have recently found that My gt grandfather died in the workhouse even though he had 5 stepchildren and 5 children. Another gt gt grandfather was a railway gatekeeper and was run over by a Locomotive engine and killed --I hope he wasn't closing the gates at the time and didn't see the train coming,at least he would'nt know what had hit him! Ann,Darlington

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Sep 2003 11:27

I'm just typing up a transcript of a newspaper article on the inquest into how my wife's grandfather was knocked off his bike and killed in 1928.

Gary

Gary Report 4 Sep 2003 13:30

How's this for complicated. My grandmothers brother Alfred married a Clara Ovenden and died after one year of marriage having been run over by the horse and cart he was in charge of! He took eleven days to die in hospital. Clara later married my grandfathers brother Alfred who died within one year of marriage, cause of death manslaughter! Clara had four children, three illigitimate, all by different fathers. Gary

Tracy

Tracy Report 4 Sep 2003 13:47

My great uncle was only 30 when he died. He had served for many years in the army, in India and had also just made it through WW2. Within a few years of being back home and ready to settle down, he fell off his bike and hit his head on the kerb and broke his neck. Isn't life ironic!

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Sep 2003 16:37

If anyone lost a rellie in Bomber Command in WW II if you let me know the date and name I have a set of "Bomber Command Losses" which details the Squadron, aircraft type and number, circumstances (where known), crew names, whether they died or survived and place of burial if known for the dead. I'll look them up and send whatever info. is there.