General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone please help me find my gt gt Grandparen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angelic Alaina

Angelic Alaina Report 8 Oct 2003 13:23

My Gt grandads name is Thomas Callaghan and all I know about him is that he lived in Keighley, West Yorkshire most of his life so he could of been born around that area about 1880 - 1890, I don't know if he had any sisters or brothers but I would like to know what his parents were called. Also I know that he was fought in the 1st world war. Can anyone help me pleeeeaaaasssseeee Alaina xx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Oct 2003 13:59

Hi, Have you looked on the 1901 census for him? Or looked for his marriage in the GRO index? Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Oct 2003 16:07

Alaina, have you tried www(.)familysearch(.)org? They have a lot of info of soldiers from WW1 on fiche which you cansearch. Good luck. Eleanor

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Oct 2003 16:17

I think you would be better off finding his marriage cert first, as that will give you his father's name and occupation. Also his approx age. Then you can search the census Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Oct 2003 16:56

have had a look on the 1901 census - there are a few likely candidates - about 4 or so - have saved the file to send you :-)

Sue

Sue Report 8 Oct 2003 17:30

I've searched the 1901 using the Decoder and have a number of Thomas Callaghans under Yorkshire. They are: Thomas, born Leeds, age 12, DOB 1889, census place Leeds, living with parents Thomas and Annie and siblings Frederick, Annie and Agnes. Thomas, born Coventry, age 17, DOB 1884, Census place Featherstone, ... labourer. Thomas, born Keighley, age 72, DOB 1829, Census place left blank, Plasterers Labourer. Thomas, born Halifax, age 5, DOB 1896, Census place Halifax, living with parents Patrick and Hannah and siblings Alice and James. Thomas, born Durham Sunderland, age 2, DOB 1899, Census place left blank, occupation Soldier!!!! Thomas, born Dewsbury, age 6, DOB 1895, Census place Dewsbury, living with parents John and Ann and sister Mary. Thomas, born Ossett, age 34, DOB 1867, Census place Ossett, living with wife Mary and children John, Eneanor, Bernard and Annie, occupation Willyer They are all the Thomas Callaghans listed for Yorkshire. I hope one of them might be yours! Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Oct 2003 18:01

I have looked on A n c e s t r y and came up with: Thomas Callaghan head married age 61 gen labourer. Wife - Bridget aged 60. Son William(could this be yr Thomsas father) aged 27,it says he was born in Portsmouth.Yorks, his parents born in Ireland, but they were all living at 71 Herlgale or Werlgale in Keighley.Yorkshire. Various other in Leeds/Linthorpe Yorks ages from 27,12,3yrs. A Thomas age 29yrs.Militiaman - Gunner York Artillary(W.D.R.A.) And this one (l know its not urs but l could just imagine him playing his trumpet) Age 30yrs Trumpeter - Regents Park Barrocks. Jude

Angelic Alaina

Angelic Alaina Report 8 Oct 2003 18:13

Judith I got really exited then but my Thomas had a wife called Mary Agnes Duffy and they had five kids my grandad is one of them. Its actually my grandads grandad I'm trying to find not his dad who is Thomas, I don't have anyway of findind out his name from my grandad coz he doesn't remember his grandparents Thank you any way, My Thomas Callaghan Lived on North Dene Road in Keighley which is where my grandad grew up alaina