General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Request for GC Administrators

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 19 Oct 2003 13:20

Is it possible to have a 'Watch this Topic' link to make it easier to find a posting? I have just had to click the 'Previous 20 Messages' button 15 time to get back to a posting I made just under a week ago. It would also make life much easier if, after sending someone a message we could go back to the page we were at before sending it. Instead it goes to Your Contacts page and clicking the back button does nothing. Thanks. Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Oct 2003 13:37

Hi Lynne, To get back to where you were - if you look at your back button there is an arrow pointing down. If you click on that you will see the various pages that you can be taken back to. You should find a few that say GC Threaded Board which is normally the one above message boards. Once you have tried it you will see what I mean. That's if it made sense???? I also find it difficult to find previous postings. I reply to so may that I don't have the time write down the message numbers. It would be great if we could get an e-mail saying that someone has posted a message on a thread that you have been interested in like we get on many sites. Regards Margaret

Debbi

Debbi Report 19 Oct 2003 15:36

i 2nd that..i spend ages finding messages ive left

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Oct 2003 16:28

Lynne It might be better to send an email to GC direct from the feedback section on the contact us tab. They say they don't always read these boards. By the way, I'm in total agreement with you. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Oct 2003 16:30

Thanks for that info Margaret, I'd never even noticed that little arrow before. Think I'd better take a little time off searching to read a manual!! I learn a new thing every day on this site . Di.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Oct 2003 16:40

Don't you just hate manuals Di :o((

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 19 Oct 2003 17:34

What they need, is a search facility, so you can search by user name or by a word, alot of forums have them nowadays

Bob

Bob Report 19 Oct 2003 17:48

A search facility would be the best solution i think

Crista

Crista Report 19 Oct 2003 20:21

Lynne, You can add the topic to your browser favourites and then it's easy to get to. Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 Oct 2003 19:11

Someone mentioned the other day, if you look in the address bar at the very end is a number of the thread about 5 or 6 numbers if you are interested in a certain thread jot the number down, Then I think you go to say the tips board and gp to the address bar and delete the last little bit and then ptu in your number that you jotted down and it should come up with that thread, now in my head it was perfectly clear but as I have written it down it dosnt make much sense. Im sure someone can explain this better but it does work once you know how. Debbie Just looked and this thread is 323609

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Oct 2003 19:17

Hi Debbie, Every message has a unique number. Take note of a number of a message that you are interested in - it will be the number on the end of the address bar. This one is 323609 which you will see above. Delete that number for the one that you are looking for - press enter - and there you are! Hope that made sense?? Regards Margaret

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 Oct 2003 19:34

Margaret Thanks for that you explained it very well, and I think you were the one that posted this message before Debbie

John

John Report 21 Oct 2003 20:05

I've never noticed that number at the end of the address bar before. It's a really useful tip for me. Thanks! PS I've just looked at Message 1 - you've guessed it, it was from GC themselves on 05/11/02.

Debbi

Debbi Report 23 Oct 2003 15:46

i just had to do that too lol now i know how to to lol debbi