General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Decoder.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Oct 2003 22:51

Is census decoder not working any more. When I try it, I gt the decoder part okay, but then instead of the census a message to say "Action Cancelled". I've tried several times over the past couple of days with same response.

Sue

Sue Report 26 Oct 2003 00:07

Hi Diana Mine was OK earlier today. Haven't had any problems Sue

Crista

Crista Report 26 Oct 2003 00:13

Diana, Have you installed any new firewalls are virus software recently? Try looking here: http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/help/Technical_help.html Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Oct 2003 01:13

Hi and many thanks for your responses to my problem. I can access census pro gov fine but not thro' census decoder. I followed your instructions Judy and you were right, TLS 1.0. was not checked off so have done, but it's not helped with the census and decoder. Yes Crista I installed Norton internet security 10 days or so ago, and I did look at help/Technical-help on census pro gov, as you suggested, but I'm very new to all of this so wouldn't know what I'm looking for!! However it's true I never had any problem before installing Norton. Thanks for helping. I appreciate it. Di.

Judy

Judy Report 26 Oct 2003 01:36

Diana, try this: On your computer go to START, find and click on CONTROL PANEL. Find and click on INTERNET OPTIONS. A box will appear and at the top of the box are tabs....the last one being labeled ADVANCED....click on the ADVANCED tab. Scroll down to the subheading SECURITY. Under SECURITY make sure that there are check marks next to USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. Then click on OK at the bottom of the box. For some reason, USE TLS 1.0 is usaully not checked off and it should be. Not having it checked off will often give you a message, when trying to access a web site or one of it's links, that there is an error, or web site can't be found. You'll now be able to access pages you weren't able to before....unless of course the web site is actually no longer there. Hope this helps! Judy

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Oct 2003 00:49

I'd like to nominate another star of the month for helping me solve the decoder problem. Judy Lewitt has twice taken time to email me with very concise, easy to follow instructions, that have finally enabled me to get the 1901 census and decoder back together again. Not only that but she took the time to give me links to free software, with instructions, which I'm sure will prove to be very useful. Thanks again Judy. Di.