General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can any one help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2003 15:19

Can any one tell me where these two places are or were please HAWERBY-CUM-BESBY and BEARLY. many thanks Sue

Trish

Trish Report 26 Oct 2003 15:53

Hubby says it sounds like it might be Cumberland. Personally I don't even know where I am now!!

Sue

Sue Report 26 Oct 2003 16:01

Hi Sue Google search found it. NE Lincolnshire. The NE Lincs Council website tells you all about Hawerby-cum-Beesby. Bearly isn't so easy to check for as endless sites come up for teddy bears or the word barely misspelt! A bit like searching for Meager and getting all the instances of a misspelt meagre (or American spelling)! Sue

George

George Report 26 Oct 2003 16:03

Sue Have you been looking at those squigly census returns again. Hawerby cum Beesby existed in Lincs, type in Hawerby on Google, could the other one be beelsby, again Lincs George

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 26 Oct 2003 18:08

There is a Bearley in Warwicks just Nth of Stratford-upon-Avon. Maz.XX

Susan

Susan Report 27 Oct 2003 07:52

Thank you so much I have been searching the road map if it isno longer exists then no wonder I couldn't find it thanks again sue

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Oct 2003 09:31

I got Bearley from the Road Atlas. I think a lot of places on the Lincs coast have disappeared. Think I have a book at my mums - if I can find it I will look later. Maz. XX

Susan

Susan Report 27 Oct 2003 15:30

cheers for that Maz Sue

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Oct 2003 18:48

Sorry Susan the book is not at my mum's, must be in my loft - can you wait about 10 years??!! Think it is called Lost Villages of England - you may find it thru your library. SORRY!!! Maz. XX

Susan

Susan Report 27 Oct 2003 18:51

thats ok thanks anyway Sue

Crista

Crista Report 27 Oct 2003 19:40

Sue, Do you have a registration district for Bearly? If you go to www.multimap(.)com and search for Bearly you can see the one in Warwickshire. Crista

Robin

Robin Report 8 Nov 2003 20:16

According to ParLoc, Hawerby cum Besby is Lincolnshire O/S referenceTf 2697. ParLoc (Parish Locator) is a free programme you can download. It will also give you old parish names and print a map showing all nearby Parishes. One for the Tips Board I think.

Susan

Susan Report 9 Nov 2003 01:38

Thanks to all I have no idea at all about Bearly as for getting a map for Hawerby I will do that Geoff. Thanks again to all Sue