General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emmanuel - a real name ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 31 Oct 2003 20:26

I've recently obtained a marriage certificate for what, I thought to be a relative. Everything on the cert looks like I expected - the bride - Mary Boardman (my relative) her father - Samuel B (a pavior) - the place - Bolton registry Office. Even the bridegroom's surname is 'correct'. BUT I know his forename to be Harry - but on the marriage cert it is shown as Emmanuel. I have a vague recollection that Emmanuel was sometimes used in place of their proper name - or is it just wishful thinking on my part ?

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2003 20:46

Emmanuel is a biblical name as far as I know, so maybe he was christened Emmanuel Harry (or Henry, the formal version) and he preferred his second name. Or maybe he didn't have a second name but chose to be called Harry, instead of Emmanuel, just because he didn't like his name. My family for one is full of name switch-arounds, shortenings or names like Harry for Henry, Nellie for Ellen etc. My father was Edgar James and he was Jim, and my grandad was John and always said he was Jack, so don't be surprised at anything. Di.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 1 Nov 2003 02:30

My mum's father was called "Har" even though his name was Joseph Harry; my brother is "Allen" even though his name is Ross Allen; my ancestor was James, although on the 1871 Canadian Census he is shown as Joseph -- I don't trust everything I read now. Perhaps there was another Emmanuel (his dad?) and it was easier referring to him as Harry to avoid confusion? Someone told me that if the son was named after the father, that the son was known by his middle name until his father passed away. Don't know if that is at all true.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 1 Nov 2003 13:34

Lisa Sounds pluasable. My g grandfather was William Frederick Lock on the 1881 and 1901 census'. When I sent for his duaghters birth cert and his marriage cert it turned out he was Frederick William. His dad was called Frederick. Jeanette

Allie

Allie Report 1 Nov 2003 17:16

I think you have to look at all the details that are correct ! It would be a big coincidence if it was not the right person. Its not just our rellies that have since passed on that changed their names, my mum was given the name Dilys Rowena when she was born...but her parents have always called her Ruth!! Where the hell does that come from? Allie

Helen

Helen Report 1 Nov 2003 18:49

My Nan had an 'Uncle Non' and always presumed he was called Algernon. I've now found out he was really William Albert???????

Michele

Michele Report 2 Nov 2003 19:04

My nans grandfather was Emanuel as was his son who nan always called Uncle Mann Nan had a brother Walter known as Wol

Monica

Monica Report 3 Nov 2003 17:37

It is a real name- it means God is with us and is a name used also for Jesus as in the carol- O come O come Emmanuel Are you thinking of an emmanuensis- which is a sort of ghostwriter eg for someone who is illiterate?