General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Questions About Hull

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 6 Nov 2003 23:07

See below

Carol

Carol Report 6 Nov 2003 23:07

Jeannette, or anyone else from Hull, maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me please. Why do so many roads change into High Road Hezzle Road - Hezzle High Road Holderness Road - Holderness High Road Anlaby Road - Anlaby High Road I have never seen this anywhere else, so is there a logical reason for it? Does Hezzle still smell of fish?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Nov 2003 23:51

Hi Carol Good question! I've never really thought about it until you pointed it out. Having lived here all my life I just took it as the norm and didn't realise it didn't happen elsewhere. Each of these roads lead right from the town center to the place in their title ie. Hessle, Anlaby and Holderness, and are approximately 2 miles long. So I suppose one theory could be that each of the roads in question are so long that they thought there should be a change of name half way to avoid confusion. Otherwise you could end up living at No. 10,953 Anlaby road. My hubbys theory is that if it has 'High' in the title then your at the posh end. The High Roads are at the end nearest the village rather than in town. I'll ask around to see if there is a logical reason. Hessle doesn't smell of fish these days but you don't have to go far down 'Ezzle Rerd to get a whiff! Jeanette

Denise

Denise Report 8 Nov 2003 13:22

Has Kay's Cafe on the docks gone? It was still there in the early eighties although my mother kay gave it up in the early fifties Denise

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 8 Nov 2003 14:50

Hi Denise Which docks was the cafe on? Do you know the name of the street - it's like a maze down there! If it's still there I can take a photo for you if you like. Jeanette

Carol

Carol Report 8 Nov 2003 16:46

Thanks Jeanette. I can remember going to Hull in the 50s when my grandmother lived in Monmouth Street, Gypsyville. I can also remember those little terraces, about 6 houses each side and the terraces being just off the main road. Mum has said that she would like to go to Hull sometime, so I may go with her. I will probably spend most of the time in the records office.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 9 Nov 2003 15:35

Hi Carol I was only down Monmouth Street the othe day. We're looking for a house to buy and put a tenant in. Property seems much safer than a pension these days. The prices on Monmouth Street have really shot up recently. If you come ove to Hull you'll find the staff at the records office are friendly and very helpful. Jeanette