General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how-if you know hardly anything????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelle

Kelle Report 10 Nov 2003 17:11

I have lived most of my life not knowing about my father. No-one really talked about him, even if questions were asked. I only know his name,a brothers name and that he MAY have two sisters. Every person has a past, good or bad, but i would love to get the chance to see if he could be in my future. This is the first time ive actually search (which may sound bad!) and if my mind is wondering, what if i found him-what, when, how, and why? The thing is i havent got a clue to HOW? Im reading all these success stories but i feel lost. Can anyone help or have any advice i would be so much more than greatful!!! x

Dave & Sally

Dave & Sally Report 10 Nov 2003 17:42

Hi Kelle, Ring Joan at myfolks. 01454 615031, she does this for a living and is always happy to help. Will advise you where to start. Advice is free, Sally

Carol

Carol Report 11 Nov 2003 00:03

What are the names you know? I seem to remember that between us, we found Anthony`s mother.

Kelle

Kelle Report 11 Nov 2003 13:54

hi george, thanks for your reply, just seems that everyone else knowns what their doing-bar me! haha. What exactly is 1837online, is it a web address? How do i access it? Thanks again. kelle x

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 11 Nov 2003 14:51

Hello Kelle, To access 1837 on line, go to Resource Centre on the left of the GenesConnected screen. Click on useful links. You will see 1837 listed there. You do have to pay (I think it's about 10p per page), so you need a credit card! If you know the exact date of marriage/birth/death, it shouldn't cost very much to find it! Once you have found what you are looking for, make a note of the page and volume no. and district, next to the entry, and you can order the appropriate certificate online for about £7. Good luck in your search! Dierdre X

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Nov 2003 19:05

Hi Kelle. I have to support Sally's suggestion regarding contacting "my folks". I myself used them and they found my father in less than 24 hours. My father and I met one week later and decided to keep in contact via letter to start with. Since then, I have sent two letters and have received none. I donot say this to put you off, but it is important to keep yourself open to all outcomes. I would definately recommend them as they produced quick results after searching myself for four years prior to finding him. Good luck and my thoughts are with you. Happy thoughts, Jackie x

Kelle

Kelle Report 11 Nov 2003 23:17

Todya i have been on the 1837online site which i found fascinating! I managed to find a few more details- my fathers year of birth, year in which he married my mother and his maiden name. but where now??? Again any advice or `the next step` would be nice! haha kelle x

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 11 Nov 2003 23:18

If you find you are not getting anywhere, try Norcap, a search agency supporting adults affected by adoption or by abandonment by a parent. Look at their website to see what they do. www(.)norcap(.)org(.)uk removing the brackets. I wish you well in your enquiries Len

Susan

Susan Report 14 Nov 2003 17:41

I found an invaluable group of unknown friends and supporters on this site, who are always willing to help( even when you are at your lowest ebb), with words of encouragements. Sue