General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know anything about hospices please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 10 Nov 2003 23:44

See below

Carol

Carol Report 10 Nov 2003 23:45

My husband has blood transfusions every so often, and up till now, has been going to the hospital for these. He goes in one day, and is home the next. Now, his McMillan nurse has mentioned that this could be done at the local hospice. We have made it very clear that we don`t want him to go to a hospice, and he is worried that if they get him in there, they won`t let him out again. Does anyone have any experience of overnight stays, so I can put his mind at rest please?

Trish

Trish Report 11 Nov 2003 08:54

Only know that they're like a home from home, very relaxed, comfy and friendly.

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 11 Nov 2003 09:04

carol hi have had a few friends in and out of hospices people can stay 1 night or a few nights then go home fantastic places done a good few charity concerts for them in the past,so please don't be scared of using them i know they'll help both of you. take care tina xxxx

Jane

Jane Report 11 Nov 2003 10:14

My friends husband sometimes goes into a hospice for a few days. The hospice takes him in to balance his medication and once he is sorted he comes back home again. I'm sure that they will look after him. Do let us know how he gets on. Jane

Carol

Carol Report 11 Nov 2003 12:35

Thank you all so much for your replies. We have both read them, and he feels a lot happier about the prospect now. Thank you once again

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2003 15:04

Carol I have never beeen to a hospice but whenever you rad articles about them they come over as happy places. In fact they are always keen on emphasising how cheerful they always are. I am sure it will be a good rather than a daunting experience. Ann Glos

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 11 Nov 2003 17:32

A friend of mine was recently in a hospice. She said it was a lot better than a hospital, the staff are caring, and kind. They seem to have more time an are so patient. Liz

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 11 Nov 2003 19:48

Carol, I work with elderly people and have had quite a few dealings with our local hospice. I can honestly say that I have never heard a bad word about them. Please tell your husband not to be frightened about going into one. The staff are all very kind, caring people. Maggy, West Yorkshire