General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Worse than Useless

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Nov 2003 13:58

Rang my aunt (late mother's sister) last night for some good gen. on her mother's side of the family. The conversation went something like: Q When and where were you parents married? A I don't know. Q What was you grandfather's Christian name? A Grandpa Q What was your grandmother's Christian name? A Grandma Q Didn't you ever Know? A No, I just knew them as grandpa and grandma. Thank God for 1937online where I just found my grandmother's (her mother's) birth, but it's now cost me seven quid for her certificate, then another search and a couple of more sevens for her parents!

Janet

Janet Report 19 Nov 2003 14:01

Oh dear! Still - I suppose she was being honest! She could have made something up, to keep you happy, and sent you barking up the wrong tree! Janet

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Nov 2003 15:58

Brian, if you're anything like me you would want to check it out anyway and still end up spending 7 quid! Cathy

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Nov 2003 16:43

Cathy Yes, I would eventually as it's direct line of ancestry. I'm inclined to accept second-hand evidence on branches, though.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Nov 2003 17:02

well I thought my mums first name was Mrs! and if you used her real name the police would lock you up - oh the innocence!

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 19 Nov 2003 17:33

Brian you can't be old enough then to remember the saying, You should be seen and not heard when visiting and you should ask no questions and you'll be told no lies.I expect that's why she didn't know. Jill