General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding my father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Nov 2003 17:43

hi all on GC after 34 years i have finally found my father. with much appreciated help from crista and david and sally. sorry if ive left anyone out. im so happy got loads of mixed emotions inside me, at the moment. just wanted to say a very very big thank you to you all. i couldn't have done it without your help. i have received 2 letters and loads of emails from my father, trying to catch up on lost years. thank you all once again luv sandra hi all i've got my first meeting this weekend with my father. very nervous and excited at the same time. will keep you posted on the outcome. im sure its going to be fine. have been speaking on the phone every day since the first letter arrived. im so happy, best xmas pressie ill get this year. with love sandra

George

George Report 22 Nov 2003 18:02

Delighted for you...would you believe that mine has been"missing" for 71(repeat 71) years and no-one wants to know.

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 22 Nov 2003 18:13

Congratulations Sandra! And good luck to everyone else searching for their parents. Dierdre X

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 23 Nov 2003 08:52

sandra congatulations on finding your dad, bet your walking round with a grin on your face :0) with a lot of help i found dad after 36 years the feeling is fantastic isnt it? so glad and happy for you tinaxxx

Crista

Crista Report 23 Nov 2003 09:18

Hi Sandra, Glad it had a happy ending. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2003 10:30

Hi Sandra, I am so thrilled for you. You must be on cloud 9. I wish you much happiness with your new found family :o)) Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2003 13:49

Brilliant - hugs

Dave & Sally

Dave & Sally Report 25 Nov 2003 22:04

Congratulations Sandra, enjoy making up for lost time and have an extra special Christmas. Sally & Dave For all those still looking, never give up..

Pam

Pam Report 25 Nov 2003 23:16

Sandra, So happy for you, and for your dad too. I think that those of us on this site sometimes take for granted the fact that we know our parentage and roots. It is easy to forget that others have to start from nowhere, it must be a daunting task. A very well done to all who helped Sandra, and given her a Christmas present money couldn't buy.

Brenda

Brenda Report 26 Nov 2003 21:32

Its so nice to hear something good today.Hope it all works out well for you Brenda

Rosalyn

Rosalyn Report 6 Dec 2003 11:26

To Sandra Woodcock, so glad your story has a happy ending, I have put up messages on the board,on behalf of my husband and children who are looking for a Roger Boucher, who we are told served at R.A.F. Sealand in North Wales in the 1950,S . He is my husbands natural father, and may not know of his existence. My husband was born in 1958 and Roger left North Wales at this time returning to Massachusetts U.S.A. Crista from G.C. has been very helpfull, any way great your story has a happy ending lets hope ours does to. Any one else reading this can you help. Rosalyn.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Dec 2003 21:43

For Sandra Woodcock, Im so happy for you, hope everything works out well, stories like yours are wonderful. from jackie

Sonya

Sonya Report 15 Dec 2003 13:01

I'm really pleased for you finding your dad.My mam always told me about my dad and little things that he said and did.One day (while suffering from severe post natal depression) I went to his house,not very wise in hind sight.His wife answered the door and was wary of who I was,granted I could have been having an affair with the man.His sister came round and on thourgh inspection was told my mam was a liar and to leave.I went home devastated.He rang me that night and wanted me to go through,I asked why,if I wasn't his daughter we had nothing to say.But he was insistant so I went.He ushered me to his parents and was muttering about not remembering.He avoided eye contact and looking at the photo I had of my mam.But he never once said I'm sorry I'm not your dad.I hope you develope a long loving relationship with your dad.I meanwhile live in hope!

Mareth

Mareth Report 17 Dec 2003 19:49

Well done, hope it all goes well. i found my dad after 35 years, he met my mum for the 1st time in all those years too. they got on well & all is great. thinking of you X Sally X

Angela

Angela Report 21 Dec 2003 16:29

I am so glad for you. I have been looking for my Dad JOHN WILLIAM CHALLIS for 10+ years. Whenever I get close, he seems to move on.........he has remarried, has 3 children from a previous marriage Kelly, Laird and Lisa and I cannot find them either. It is as though he has disappeared into thin air. Like most others though - I live in hope of just speaking to him once. Good Luck with your new found Dad. Selina.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 21 Dec 2003 22:45

Sandra, Have a great Christmas now, knowing your Dad is around. I got in touch with mine 2 yrs back, after a very long absence, and it has been great. Bought him a bottle of brandy for Christmas, so maybe he will have a few and tell me what I need to know!! No honestly, you can't replace the lost years but you can start anew. ENJOY!! He's your Dad. don't really know how to put these emotions in type, but Sandra, you'll know what I mean Kim xx

Pamela

Pamela Report 31 Dec 2003 18:37

Congrats, Enjoy catching up. I would love to be able to find my father. My mum went to school with him. I have tried writting to his last known address where his parents used to live but got my letters back. If you can offer any advice please sent it to my mums email. [email protected] and I will keep on searching. I'm really starting to think I will Never find him. Enjoy getting to know yours.

Aaron

Aaron Report 2 Jan 2004 22:34

so happy for you theres only one problem with my father is that i know where he is but hes not intrested

Denise

Denise Report 3 Jan 2004 02:18

I to had lost contact with My Father, I was lucky that I found him after 35 years of him being absent, It was a joyfull time getting to know him after him being absent for so long, it is Never to late to find someone if they want to be found. Sadly I lost my Father suddenly in the short time We knew each other He died, But I feel that part of me died when he went I only wish I had spent more time with him. Time was not on my side or his but at least I feel now that I know that a part of him will always be with Me. For anyone Looking to find a parent, I would like to wish you much luck, You should never Judge that person for the reason why they left you behind the world is a cruel place and not everyone has the chance of saying they are sorry life is far to short to hold this against them. The world has so much to give so open your arms and put your hand on your heart and tell them how much they mean to you as you only get one chance of life it is always to late when the chance has gone as I found when my Father Died.

Emma

Emma Report 5 Jan 2004 14:30

Sandra you are an inspiration, i too may have found my father thanks to another member. My son may get the chance to meet his grandad. Emma Neale Sunderland