General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Corrugated Iron Churches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 23 Nov 2003 09:19

While researching my wife's side of the family we found that her g-mother was born at Little Chilton Colliery in 1877. The site of the pit cottages is now underneath Platform two at Ferryhill Station, Co. Durham. I have been told that a "tin tabernacle" is, or was close by. Does anyone know of the sites of any of the corrugated "temporary" structures that various religions erected before committing themselves to a permanent church or chapel? ...And are any of them still used for any kind of worship?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Nov 2003 10:05

There's one in the Highcliffe area of Winchester. It wasn't erected as a tabernacle, but was put up for a tea party when Queen Victoria visited. It is now used as a 'Family Church', about 200 yards from the local Anglican church.

Iz

Iz Report 23 Nov 2003 13:34

There is a little tin church at Sanna, in Ardnamurchan. In the summer it is still used for services by visiting clergy, as far as I know this still takes place .(Scotland)

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 23 Nov 2003 19:13

Brian, There was a tin tabernacle, known at St James Hall, in Long Bennington. It was supposedly built by the lady of the Manor, in the grounds. She had a disagreement with the local vicar and so built her own church and brought in visiting clergy. It was used as the village hall until a few years ago. The hall was replaced by a brick building but still has trustees to oversee the original instructions left by the lady. Elisabeth

Brian

Brian Report 23 Nov 2003 20:25

Thanks to those who have replied already. I became aware of the idea of the temporary church, or "tin tabernacle" as they became known, while researching my wife's side of the tree (or maybe up it!) When a colliery was being established, for example, the various denominations were anxious to get hold of as many of the staff and their families as poss. BUT they didn't want to commit too much money into providing a proper building. Rather wait and see what the wind blows in, perhaps. For temporary buildings it's surprising how many still exist...rather like the prefab syndrome!! lol

Anne

Anne Report 24 Nov 2003 07:29

Hello Brian The Midland Railway Trust Ltd have a Church at their site at ButterleyStation, Ripley in Derbyshire. They will be running 'Santa specials', they run both steam and deisel on their stretch of preserved line also many locos to veiw, a good day out and you can visit one of the churches as well. Email me for more details Anne

Janet

Janet Report 24 Nov 2003 13:00

How interesting ....................!! I had no idea ................ Amazing what you discover on this site, isn't it?!

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Nov 2003 14:52

There is also the 'Tin Mission' non-denominational church on Rake Lane, Clifton, Manchester. This area was surrounded by collieries in the post-war years. Hazel Dalgety Bay

Brian

Brian Report 25 Nov 2003 14:48

Having asked about the corrugated iron churches that were raised and seeing the amount of interest it stirred...I decided to have a look on the internet to see if there was an area which shares the interest. After bringing up Google and doing a search on "Tin Tabernacles" I was astounded at the amount of info and photos there is available! The Long Bennington (St James Hall) has a photograph on show (Thanks Elisabeth) and I am now trawling through some of the other sites for more mentioned by other members. What a wonderful product this Corrugated Iron is...and the chapels actually appeared as a "catalogue" item!!!

Anne

Anne Report 27 Nov 2003 08:23

If anyone is interested St Saviour's, Westhouses has been moved and you can visit it, more details on www(.)midlandrailwaycentre(.)co(.)uk click on Swanwick site today and you will find a picture there. Enjoy the site Better still visit Butterley Station, they usually have Santa specials, Thomas The Tank Engine Days, ride the trains, be a child again!! Have emailed you Brian Anne