General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

first timer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 25 Nov 2003 16:58

Hi everyone im new to this site and im finding it really intesting.This is the first time i have attempted to do a family tree and want to know is it worth my time.Can anyone tell me if i will need to become a full time member to complete my tree. thanks, Claire

Margaret

Margaret Report 25 Nov 2003 17:37

Claire 1, yes this site is worth joining. You will get lots of tips and help from fellow members. Remember, if you don't become a full member you cannot email anyone else to see if you connect. 2, Don't go into this with the idea that one day you will complete your tree. That is never done. There are always new family members to find(living or dead). There are always new ways of tracing people. Every 10 years a new census is released to view. I've been doing mine for over 20 years and would hate to think it was complete. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Nov 2003 18:54

Hi Claire Margaret is right, this site is well worth the money. I paid £7.50 for the year (just think of how many pints you would get for that - not many!!). Its a great site, theres always someone to help out if you get stuck and everyone is so friendly. As for searching for your family tree Im sure others will tell you - there are never enough hours in the day for that!! Sarah

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 25 Nov 2003 19:08

Hi Claire and welcome to GC! Family History is a bit like Pringles - once you start you can't stop - the only difference is that there is no bottom to the tube!! Come and chat on the Members Board and never be afraid to ask for help - we were all starting out once! Speak to you soon. Maz. XX

Gary

Gary Report 25 Nov 2003 19:28

Claire You will not complete your tree by just belonging to Genes Connected. Most of your research will be looking at the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census's online. Only the first is free. Other sites will be FreeBMD, 1837 Online etc. Eventually you will have to look through micro fiche and examine Parish Records. Full explanation of the above can be found on this site. There is a lot of work involved but once you get the bug you will find it worthwhile. Be prepared to become a bore to your friends and an obsessive about your Victorian ancestors. Best of luck. Gary

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 26 Nov 2003 14:11

Hello Claire, I only joined G.C this year & have, through the help of the many helpfull & kind people on these boards, Traced several branches of my family back to around 1818. I am still learning,(tips board is wonderfull !) and alough money is tight, & I haven't the time to go to librarys & record centres. (I have 2 kids age 8 & 4 ! ) I have got further than I'd dreamed of without additional resources (ancestry ect.) My only outlay so far, have been certificates, (which usually yield parental & dwelling information) Hopefully in the near future i'll be able to afford ancestry & be able to help others on this board too. Hope that you'll join Elaine x