General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any advance on 9 different spellings?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 27 Nov 2003 00:00

After hitting a solid MEAGER brickwall in London in the 1860s it now transpires that the next generation back were, in 1881, MAGER and came from Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. However ... having gone through the whole of the IGI for Biggleswade I find that the family connections, and even one individual, have no less than 9 different spellings: MEAGER, MEAGAR, MAGER, MAGAR, MEAGHER, MAYER, MEAYRE, MAGRE and MEGUR. Sue

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 27 Nov 2003 07:47

Sue, Another spelling or two - MEGER and MEGAR.

Sue

Sue Report 27 Nov 2003 11:34

Thanks Jacky !!! I'd forgotten about Megar - seen one of those somewhere, but not the other one! Sue

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 27 Nov 2003 13:49

Sue, I put the name on search on some of my discs and the following also came up listed under Meager. MEAGRE MEGARR MEAGOR Jacky

Sue

Sue Report 27 Nov 2003 15:34

Thanks everyone - they're all coming out of the woodwork now aren't they. At least most of these other spellings are easier to Google - meager being the Americanised spelling of meagre! Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2003 15:48

Weatherall. I have 9 variations in 12 generations! So I worked out that there are 25 different possibilities. And then I came across the name Meatherall!! Aaarrrggghhh!!!

Debbi

Debbi Report 27 Nov 2003 16:17

oh dear poor sue wot will she do to many spellings not many dwellings so many names who'll she blame debbi xx

Sue

Sue Report 27 Nov 2003 16:26

Hi Jim Glad to see you back! I'm sure it's all one great big conspiracy!!! Sue