General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone from Walton-on-Naze Essex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 28 Nov 2003 06:08

Is anyone either living in or from either Walton or Clacton-on-Sea? I now live in Australia, but would like to hear from someone from home. Sylvia (nee Brinkley)

Lorna

Lorna Report 29 Nov 2003 17:02

Hi Sylvia Sorry we are not from Walton but we have been going down to Walton for years. We usually get a van at Martellos and have a great time whatever the time of year!! My other half insists that is where we shall buy a house when he wins the lottery (maybe tonight as its a rollover lol) :-)

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 30 Nov 2003 04:23

Hi! Lorna, Itwas nice to get your message and to know that you enjoy going to Walton. I bet it has changed since I was last there. I did go home in 1993, but it was to visit my Mother who was very ill and eventually died, so I did not see much of Walton itself. By the way, she used to work in the little cake shop in Walton High Street. Did you go in there ever.? Best Wishes Sylvia

Lorna

Lorna Report 1 Dec 2003 19:50

Sylvia As a young child we used to visit my nan in Frinton, and went to Walton pier as a treat in the evening, and a meal in the Singing Kettle. We last stayed in August for a few days (we have obtained a dog in the past years which means we cant leave him for long and have of yet found somewhere to stay that welcomes him!) And yes we often get our pasties and sarnies to eat on the beach at the bakery in the High Street. I dont think it has changed very much in the past 10 years. It is still pretty quiet and a family place with sandy beaches that disappear twice a day. I think the biggest changes I have noticed is the building of new sea defences between the beaches and beach huts.

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 2 Dec 2003 11:55

Hi! Lorna, Nice to hear from you again. I met my husband on Walton Pier and we have been married nearly 55 years. We lived in Frinton for a while when we first got married. I'm so glad to hear that Walton hasn't changed too much. I was born there and lived there until I was married. I worked in the Post Office in Walton when I left school. Do you know if it is still there? By the way, where do you live? I bet it is in Essex somewhere. Best wishes, Sylvia. PS How is your dog?

Lorna

Lorna Report 2 Dec 2003 19:40

Sylvia The post office is still there too! And this year they were working on the pier~making more of it under cover. Thoough we only seem to get sunshine! Nope not Essex~though I know why you thought that lol. We are in Luton Beds! And the dog is muddy and in a sulk cos I wont let him in on the carpet!! Lorna

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 4 Dec 2003 02:27

Hi again Lorna, Thanks for answering my messages. Since my sister died last year, she lived in Kirby Cross by the way, I have not been in touch with anyone from home, so it is nice to hear from someone who knows Walton. I don't think there is anyone else on this site from there. By the way, we lived quite near the Martello site, in Kirby Road, but up the road further. Thanks again, Sylvia.

Lorna

Lorna Report 4 Dec 2003 13:56

Sylvia Have emailed you :-)