General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I AM NEW!! HELP!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 6 Dec 2003 01:06

Hi i am new to all this and i am trying to trace my grandfathers family. His mother and father were born in Russia and then emigrated to Canada where my grandfather was born. I am really looking for people who can help me or just someone to guide me in the right direction and be a friend :-)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Dec 2003 18:50

Hi Nicola. Nice to hear from you. I live in California, but my family is from Canada. Do you know where your grandfather was born (in which province and/or city)? The following website is fairly good and covers all of the provinces: http://olivetreegenealogy(.)com/can/canres.shtml This site is also great for some records: http://www.ingeneas(.)com/ (Remember to remove ( ) before using the sites.) Feel free to contact me if you would like other Canadian sites or have questions about genealogy. You'll have a great time on GC, WELCOME!

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Dec 2003 18:54

There are also (if not better) the same worldwide message boards at Rootsweb.

EvG

EvG Report 7 Dec 2003 19:05

Hi Nicola. I live in Canada, I have been trying to find my English Roots for ages. You should be able to find lots of info. the Canadian Government are good at keeping track of people, don't want to let them get away without paying taxes. Do you know what ship your grandparents came on. The passenger lists are still available, or did they come in from the U.S. Often if the name was not what the authorities considered a proper name or they couldn't spell it they wrote down any old name so you could have a problem if that's the case. Do you live in Canada, if so where, I live on the west coast. Contact me if you need help.

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Dec 2003 10:20

Thank you all for your helpful hints i will certainly try them :-)