General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

origin of "The Twelve Days of Christmas"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Dec 2003 18:28

Catholics in England during the period 1558 to 1829,when Parliament finally emancipated Catholics in England were prohibited from any practice of their faith by law- private or public. it was a crime to be a Catholic. the "Twelve Days of Christmas was written in England as a catechism song to help young Catholics learn the tenets of their faith - a memory aid. the symbols mean the following: 1 Partridge in a pear tree Jesus christ, the son of God. 2 Turtle doves The Old and New Testaments. 3 French Hens Faith , Hope, and Charity . The three theological virtues. 4 Calling birds The Four Gospels 5 golden rings The First Five books of the Old Testament the "Pentateuch" 6 Geese-a laying The Six days of Creation . 7 Swans -a swimming The Seven Sacraments. 8 Maids - a Milking The Eight Beatitudes. 9 ladies Dancing The Nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit. 10 Lords a-leaping The Ten Commandments 11 Pipers piping The Eleven faithful apostles. 12 drummers Drumming The Twelve points in the Apostles Creed Courtesy of catholic information board. (cin)

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Dec 2003 21:56

Many thanks for that very interesting explanation, Terri, of one of my favorite Christmas songs. A very merry Christmas to you and your family, and health and happiness in the New Year. Di.xxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2003 00:26

Terri - you never cease to amaze me xx

Janet

Janet Report 11 Dec 2003 10:23

Wow! Who'd have thought .............. I had no idea!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2003 10:53

Thanks Terri, I never knew it had a meaning behind it, Ill print it off and enlighten my children.

June

June Report 11 Dec 2003 12:18

Thanks for that information.thats what I like about this site - the liitle interesting items that keep cropping up. I hope it's your best Christmas ever. June

Valice in

Valice in Report 12 Dec 2003 06:43

Interesting, I wonder if it worked, the song is well remembered, but obviously the meaning behind it isn't.!! Val

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Dec 2003 22:25

My son had his christmas play last night. The 12 days of Christmas........but according to the yr 5 & 6's it was all a mistake. The princess didnt want a partridge in a pear tree, she wanted a party for friends to take tea, and 2 furry gloves, etc. They had based the play on chinese whispers so that when it got back to the 3rd servant the original present was changed into the original song. It was very, very funny and very cleverly done. Maggie

Bob

Bob Report 14 Dec 2003 10:50

This is a more detailed explanation, but you should note that there is some disagreement whether the story is true or that the "origin" came after the song. On the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me... A Partridge in a Pear Tree The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, whose birthday we celebrate on December 25, the first day of Christmas. In the song, Christ is symbolically presented as a mother partridge that feigns injury to decoy predators from her helpless nestlings, recalling the expression of Christ's sadness over the fate of Jerusalem: "Jerusalem! Jerusalem! How often would I have sheltered you under my wings, as a hen does her chicks, but you would not have it so . . . ." (Luke 13:34) On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Two Turtle Doves The Old and New Testaments, which together bear witness to God's self-revelation in history and the creation of a people to tell the Story of God to the world. On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Three French Hens The Three Theological Virtues: 1) Faith, 2) Hope, and 3) Love (1 Corinthians 13:13) On the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Four Calling Birds The Four Gospels: 1) Matthew, 2) Mark, 3) Luke, and 4) John, which proclaim the Good News of God's reconciliation of the world to Himself in Jesus Christ. On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Five Gold Rings The first Five Books of the Old Testament, known as the Torah or the Pentateuch: 1) Genesis, 2) Exodus, 3) Leviticus, 4) Numbers, and 5) Deuteronomy, which gives the history of humanity's sinful failure and God's response of grace in the creation of a people to be a light to the world. On the 6th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Six Geese A-laying The six days of creation that confesses God as Creator and Sustainer of the world (Genesis 1). On the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Seven Swans A-swimming The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: 1) prophecy, 2) ministry, 3) teaching, 4) exhortation, 5) giving, 6) leading, and 7) compassion (Romans 12:6-8; cf. 1 Corinthians 12:8-11) On the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Eight Maids A-milking The eight Beatitudes: 1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, 2) those who mourn, 3) the meek, 4) those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 5) the merciful, 6) the pure in heart, 7) the peacemakers, 8) those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake. (Matthew 5:3-10) On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Nine Ladies Dancing The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peace, 4) patience, 5) kindness, 6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control. (Galatians 5:22) On the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Ten Lords A-leaping The ten commandments: 1) You shall have no other gods before me; 2) Do not make an idol; 3) Do not take God's name in vain; 4) Remember the Sabbath Day; 5) Honor your father and mother; 6) Do not murder; 7) Do not commit adultery; 8) Do not steal; 9) Do not bear false witness; 10) Do not covet. (Exodus 20:1-17) On the 11th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Eleven Pipers Piping The eleven Faithful Apostles: 1) Simon Peter, 2) Andrew, 3) James, 4) John, 5) Philip, 6) Bartholomew, 7) Matthew, 8) Thomas, 9) James bar Alphaeus, 10) Simon the Zealot, 11) Judas bar James. (Luke 6:14-16). The list does not include the twelfth disciple, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus to the Romans. On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Twelve Drummers Drumming The twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed: 1) I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. 2) I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. 3) He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. 4) He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell [the grave]. 5) On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 6) He will come again to judge the living and the dead. 7) I believe in the Holy Spirit, 8) the holy catholic Church, 9) the communion of saints, 10) the forgiveness of sins, 11) the resurrection of the body, 12) and life everlasting. Bob