General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who and why

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 18 Dec 2003 23:18

Now my daughter is very very level headed,married with children and 3 months ago moved house.the house was built in the 60s next to farmland.Today she said to me.Mum something strange happened the other night.It seemed she was woken by a noise about 1am in the morning and thought whe would lay there to listen if it came again waited...nothing, then turned her head to her side of the bed and there was a hazey figure of a man kneeling in prayer wearing a frilled shirt and some kind of armour on his chest,somebody else was by his side but she couldn't make out if it was male or female as it was much more hazey.At this point she blinked and it was gone.All the time she was telling me this I was waiting for the punch line thinking she was telling me a joke...but she wasn't.she says that it doesn't worry her in the least but would like to know who and why he's there.Anyone else had anything like this happen? ps.I'm not usually into any spooky stuff but we do live in an area seeped in history so it makes you wonder.lynn

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Dec 2003 00:17

Hi Dawn,Don't quite know where to start,as this has never happened to anyone I know before.It quite un-nerved me to say the least but she is so calm about it.She told me a few weeks ago that she always leaves the childrens bedroom doors open when they are in bed and that my grand-daughters door makes a noise on the carpet when it open and shuts.One night she was woken again by a noise ..thought one of the kids had got up and gone into the loo,after a while she went to investigate and found both fast asleep and her daughters door shut...the noise she had heard was the door rubbing over the carpet.....My grandchildren hate doors shut at night and we know they wouldn't have shut it..Lynn

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Dec 2003 07:03

This may seem silly but and it's no joke...but has he come back to trace his rellies thinking they still live there....thought came to me in the night hardly slept a wink

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 19 Dec 2003 11:54

I agree, I would visit your local spiritulist church. I visit mine & the people there are so friendly & are always on hand to give advice & help. Elaine (in Harlow) x

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Dec 2003 18:30

Linda, have you looked into local history. Sounds like someone from the Royalist side of the Civil War. Maybe the houses are built where a battle took place or on the site of someone's home from that time.

Janet

Janet Report 19 Dec 2003 18:49

I think investigation of the Local History angle could prove interesting. Let us know what you turn up! I live in an old stone cottage. We're not sure exactly how old it is, but it appears on an old map dated 1682! When one of my girls was very young, she started talking about an elderly lady in her bedroom. On questioning her, it would appear that this lady would sit on the chair next to her bed and smile at her. She wasn't bothered about it, and I told her that the lady was probably looking after her while she slept. I think I know who our night-time visitor was, because some years before, the mother of an old school friend of mine was telling me that when she was a child, she had lived in our cottage, and had very many happy memories. She particularly loved her little bedroom - the bedroom that was hers was the one my daughter was sleeping in. By the time my daughter started talking about the old lady, my schoolfriends mother had died, and she fitted the description my daughter gave of her visitor. Although the night time visits gradually died away, sometimes I could sense a cool area in the room, or a smell of perfume would suddenly appear. Since we have converted the bedroom into an office (where I am sitting now) those experiences have stopped too, so it obviously doesn't have the same attraction to her any more. This is only one of several stories I could tell of this nature!

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Dec 2003 21:44

Many thanks to jeanette who mailed me amd to everone else for their help.I am going to our local library tomorrow in the hope of finding out more local history.I live in Rochford Essex and it was noted in the domesday book 1086.King canute built a church in Ashingdon( rear us) in 1020, and a battle took place in the valley below the church, Rayleigh castle was the only castle to be noted in the domesday book..this is also near us.Rochford Hall(my brother in law now lives there)was coveted by half the nobles in the land built by Sir Thomas Boleyn(Anne Boleyns father) and Henry V111 used it as his hunting lodge This is the history I know of but is of little use till I can find out what stood on the ground my daughters house now stands on or if any battles took place there.I have kept a note of the date it happened as I too wondered if it may just be a certain time of year.Anyhow will keep you all informed many thanks Lynn ps I just don't know how on earth I managed to work full time.