General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

digweed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 26 Dec 2003 17:15

Hi, Can you you help? My surname is Grant however i have learnt that, although my fathers surname is also Grant, his fathers (my grandad) was originally born with the surname 'Digweed', and changed from Digweed to Grant by deepoll before my dad was born. I am really interested in looking into my family tree especially now having learnt that I need to look back at ancestors with the surname 'Digweed' I am very new at all this and really dont know where to start. can anyone help? or if anyone has any info at all it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in taking time to read this. Helen

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 26 Dec 2003 23:40

Hi First of all, get a notebook and question all your living relatives to find out what they know. Get a copy of Practical Family History which is on the bookstalls every month. This gives a lot of advice for beginners and tells where to look. There are two other monthly magazines, Family Tree Monthly and Family Tree Magazine but they are a bit more advanced. Get your Dad's birth certificate which will give details of his parents - then get their marriage and birth certs which will give even more information. As you get into it, you will find more and more reference sources. Join your local Family History Society. Come back to me if you get stuck Len

Helene

Helene Report 27 Dec 2003 05:12

I"ve done a 'google' search and found a John Digweed. Maybe he's related, it could be worth a look. Good luck. Mags

Helen

Helen Report 27 Dec 2003 16:13

Thanks for your advice, Len, and Mags, its much appreciated, I will see what i can find out

Leonard

Leonard Report 28 Dec 2003 00:42

Hi Helen,a family called Digweed lived a few doors away from my nan,this was in the late fifties,in a area called Kensal new town which was in the london borough of Kensington W10. the street name was Southam street.You could also try the web site of the latter day saints at:- www.familysearch.org Leonard