General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Members GC trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 30 Dec 2003 13:44

Reading through the messages on these forums it is strange the amount of questions that are posted by people that do not load their own family on to GC. In some cases one person is in their tree but they ask questions on 1841 census for their ggggf, how to print off their tree for others????, address searches in various census etc. The whole point of GC is to join people together with the same surname etc. How can this be done when some are not willing to impart any information, ok some of these people are living and want their information kept private, but, when you are searching the 1841 census it is safe to asume that the person is no longer with us. With some people it seems to be take take take, how about a bit of giving for a change. New Years resolution maybe Regards George

Jay

Jay Report 30 Dec 2003 15:31

Removed my tree George when someone copied it! and then posted messages about me. We pay our subs and use the site as we best feel. I personally do not see what is wrong in asking for help to print off a tree, if people don't ask questions then no one can help. It doesn't just want to be a site where people look at others trees and names to see if they can fill in theirs, you never know if this information is checked and accurate. As you say give and take and help one another. Regards Jayne

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 30 Dec 2003 17:59

Hi George, I have nearly 6,000 names on my tree and have only put 4 generations of direct ancestors on GC. One reason is that the site is very user unfriendly. It is very difficult to read other trees and there are other websites which are much better. Also you can only put date and place of birth not baptism which is ridiculous. The format of the trees on GC is dire. The other reason is I don't want to link my tree to any other unless I have verified the information myself. I'm happy to share information on my ancestors with any "cousins" but privately not over the web. Gwynne

Jay

Jay Report 30 Dec 2003 18:17

Couldn't agree more Gwynneth regards Jayne

Michael

Michael Report 30 Dec 2003 18:33

I also have only a limited amount of essential names (800 ish) on my tree on GC and use these as 'triggers' for people to link to, if necessary. The tree has blossomed and grown but I have not updated it as I receive enough responses with the original to keep me busy. I dread to think what might happen if I updated it and made the full whack (quite a lot still unconfirmed anyway and passed onto me by others) available for viewing (which, on this site, is a nightmare of a task at the best of times).

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2003 01:23

Hello George, The reason I haven't added our trees is that until we can be sure about parents,siblings and grandparents and until we have consent from living rellies we can't put a great deal on here! I know we could get round it by leaving blanks for christian names but I'd rather do it properly once than have bits here and there! As well, it's worth remembering that people use this site for myriad different reasons. Although there are bona fide family tree researchers on here there are also those who are just digging about for clues! I just think it's a great place. Loads of lovely people only too happy to give advice and friendship to all the waifs and strays who drift in and out and have a laugh at the same time!! Don't let it get to you George! It's not worth it! Happy New Year to everyone! lol Eleanorxxx

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 31 Dec 2003 22:41

I only began looking at our Families Histories seriously about six months ago - and am quite aware that I am woefully inadequate, not only in knowledge of Geneaolgy but with the dreaded 'computor'. I'm also aware that there are people using GC who are very knowledgeable and thank heavens for them - for without them to guide us, we newbies would be lost. Now, I'm learning as I go and I do try to answer a question, make a suggestion or look something up for someone if I can - this site means different things to different people and thats what makes it unique - it's friendly, family feeling means a lot to me, long may it last. Oh! and if my tree does'nt grow very many branches - well i'm having fun trying ! Sue.

retepthoob

retepthoob Report 2 Jan 2004 21:54

I uploaded most of my tree. Received some contacts ,I replied giving loads of info and unlocked the tree. i never got a reply or any details I asked for. It was all one way.Even a reply would have been nice . I`m losing faith in the site in this area.Is it me or has anyone else had same experience.Best wishes to all for 2004. regards Peter.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jan 2004 22:03

I think that feeling is pretty widespread. Ive tried to help people that have posted 'trying to find' messages, i know I can help, but they seem to post that and then dissapear.

Susan

Susan Report 3 Jan 2004 12:12

George have sent you an email. sue