General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still chasing a Ghost. More help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 6 Jan 2004 21:19

Hi. Still trying to establish where my gr.grandad disappeared to between 1869 [marriage] and 1918 [death]. Can anyone tell me where I might find details of transportation to Australia, [assuming miscreant], passenger lists [assuming honest joe],. Is there any site I can look up Court [either Crown or Magistrates] that might give me clues. So far have not been able to trace him on any census tween the above dates. Name is Tom Stringer Deakin [may be spelt Deaken] Badger Bill Worthing UPDATE. Just found him on 1901 census! Living in Kent! Curious as to why this did not show up before - anyone know if 1901 has been amended or updated? How do I get into 1891 census?

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 6 Jan 2004 21:36

Thanks Lynda I'll give that one a try. Very much appreciated. Badger Bill Worthing ps see updated first entry.

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2004 22:05

Hell Bill, I have looked on the 1891 census and only one entry comes up and that is the marriage of Tom Stringer DEAKIN June qrt 1869 Popular Middlesex London. Sorry couldn't find more. Eileen in Portsmouth

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 6 Jan 2004 22:31

Hi Eileen Many thanks for trying. I can't seem to be able to access 1891 - must be doing something wrong. Thanks again. Hi Lynda, Will say yes please, but please see reply from Eileen before you spend [is it a pay per view, maybe that's where I'm going awry.] What part of Kent - I was born in Dover, and have discovered via Genes, l first, 1 second, and 1 third cousin, and have been told there are more. Thank you both, closing down now, need my beauty sleep. Badger Bill Worthing

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Jan 2004 22:38

Hi Bill! If you have the marriage and death certs, what age does it give for him and what occupation please. Any further ideas as to areas to check for 1881 for instance. Don't give up yet!! Maz. XX

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 6 Jan 2004 23:26

Could this be the one Bill from 1891? T S Deakin, Aged 39, Butler Domestic Servant, Born Kent, living in Speldhurst, Kent? Maggy

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 6 Jan 2004 23:29

He may not have gone to Oz. My grandpa disappeared for a number of years at the end of the 19th century. I tracked him after his return to the UK and found he was a member of a masonic lodge in Sussex.. The archivist of the lodge was very helpful and was able to inform me that their member had in fact tranferred from a lodge in Calcutta, India where he had joined. I subsequently discovered he had worked there as an engineer on the railways, had discovered religion and returned to UK for training as a preacher.

Gary

Gary Report 7 Jan 2004 19:47

Maggy That must be him. I had a look in 1901 and the one that Bill has found is 47 born in Stafford working as a butler. The birth place is the only difference, I think he will be pleased with what everyone has found. Gary

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 8 Jan 2004 15:50

Maggy from West Yorkshire Hi. That's him, thank you, thank you. Error in birthplace, he was born in Stafford, but this has to be the same guy - ages match. The enumerators quite often got things wrong doing it in handwriting, so i'm told. Also I have now found out that 1891 is again pay per view, but I couldn't even get it to open for a basic search. Leonard. Thank you also.Oz is speculative, based on a dim and distant memory of my sister's - vague recollection when she was about 7 - 8 of someone mentioning him having returned from Oz. Gary. Yes. I am extremely pleased at the finds. It really is amazing how much help and encouragement you get when you have a query. I keep reading the posts, hoping I can reciprocate in some way. Thanks again everbody Badger Bill Worthing

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 8 Jan 2004 20:45

Glad that I could help, Bill. If you want any more look ups on the 1891 census, please get in touch. My subscription runs out soon but I will be renewing it. Maggy

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 9 Jan 2004 19:40

Hi Maz, Now have his birth, as well as death & marriage certs, marriage recorded him as an Iron Works Labourer, Poplar, Middlesex. Death cert [and 1891] record him as being a Butler, Domestic - quite a change! Born 1852, Stafford, died 1918 Hampshire. Father's name - Henry Deaken [note spelling change]. He's my next quest - need lookups on 1891,.1871, 1861, 1851, 1841, [any precede these?]. Am still very curious as to where Tom was hiding between 1870 and 1901!. Now have copy of 1881, so will try to find time to check that over this weekend. Best wishes Badger Bill Worthing

Emma

Emma Report 9 Jan 2004 23:33

Hi Bill, Glad to see you've eventually found Tom! There is only one Henry Deaken on the 1891 census: Henry Deaken, head, wid, 64, tailor, Stafford Alice M Deaken, daur, 23, Kent Tunbridge Wells Kate Deaken, daur, 21, Shop Assistant (Tunbridge Ware), Tunbridge Wells Rhoda Lea, serv, 19, domestic servant, Kent Tunbridge Wells at 1 Buckingham Road, Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge, Kent I'm sure this must be your Henry Deaken, what with the Stafford/Kent connection. Best wishes, Emma.

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 12 Jan 2004 20:28

just trying something out

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 12 Jan 2004 23:03

Don't keep us in suspense then Bill, what are you up to?? Maggy

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 12 Jan 2004 23:41

Did you ever find him on the 1881 Bill? If not, he's there under T S Deakins, living with the same family as in 1891. Another thing Bill, in 1891 it lists him as married, but his wife wasn't with him. Do you know her name and where she might have been? Maggy

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 14 Jan 2004 10:14

Hi Maggy Sorry, due to family committments [i.e. looking after grandchildren][daughter and son-in-law both shift workers, * wife works permanent nights 3 days a week] I am often away from computer for a few days. Dont want to keep anyone in suspense - including me! Your right of course, I should have thought of that alternative spelling, as he is listed twice on GRO, with Deakin and Deakins. Yes, married 1869, son [my grandad] born few months later. That is where I lose him. I'll go to 1881 later today. His wife was Dorcas [formerly Horscroft]. Listed as single on 1901, listed as widow of Tom Stringer Deakin on her death certificate [1919]. I have 3 speculations. 1] Marriage was shotgun, and they parted company after. 2] Left UK in 1870 for Oz to seek his fortune. 3] Left for Oz in 1870 as transportee. Marriage cert lists him as Iron Works Labourer. Death cert lists him as Butler, Domestic. [Died Alresford, 1918] Quite a jump - so could a kindly person in early Oz have had him trained to new profession? Incidentally, Dorcas's death cert lists his occupation, so there must have been some contact. Trouble with speculations, is that you try to find facts to fit, which really is not good, hence scream for help. Thanks for everything Badger Bill Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 14 Jan 2004 10:18

Hi again Maggy Sorry, forgot part of question. To the best of my knowledge, Dorcas came back to East Sussex, she is on 1881 as being in Alfriston, where most of the Horscroft's lived. Either the 1881 or 1901 lists her as single, and alone. Somewhen she moved to Newhaven, East Sussex, which is where she died in 1919, living with her son, my grandad. Badger Bill Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 15 Jan 2004 08:08

Nudge for Maggy

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 15 Jan 2004 23:51

Thanks Bill, I think your family has got me nearly as hooked as my own!! If you need any more info from 1891, please just ask. Maggy

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 18 Jan 2004 20:16

Hi Maggy Thanks for replies. I'm not only hooked on this one, I am now confused! The change of spelling of the name has caused confusion in my tiny mind. However, I do believe I now have T.S. Deakin at 1881 and onwards thanks to you. Ran an 1881 search for Henry Deaken - found him in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, with wife and six children, very interesting professions [three eldest]. Tom must have gone off on his own prior to 1881 - but at least this now gives me the Kent connection that I needed. Any have access to the 1871 census? Do a little digging on both spellings, please. Thanks again Maggy, you were a big help. Hi Viv, Thanks for the nudge. Had a good birthday I hear, Badger Bill Worthing