General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problem with Lowmans in Somerset.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jan 2004 15:41

Last year at the Family History Fair at weston Super Mare I purchased a copy of Creech St Michael Parish register. This has been extremely helpful in tracing the marriage of my Maternal Gt Gt Grandfather John Lowman (Loman) to Ann Fry in 1835. Checking the 1851 census with the help of a good person from GC, I found that Ann was by then a widow and from 1837 online I traced John’s death to 1843 aged 35 (Cause a chill). The notifier was Thomas Lowman and the death was at Creech St Michael. Looking again at the 1851 census I can find four families in Creech St Michael, the families of John, William aged 44 and Thomas Lowman aged 40 (Loman) plus an elderly couple James aged 76 and Ann aged 64. I have no proof but I am convinced that the three younger men were brothers and James aged 76 was the Father of all three. My problem is, despite the evidence that the family lived in Creech, I can find no mention of John or Thomas in the parish register except for John’s marriage and the fact that both he and William were witnesses at other weddings. I can find William’s birth, also another brother James who died in 1818 aged 10 the parents being James and Mary Lowman. (Mary Loman died in 1836 aged 60 and it seems that James remarried Ann before 1851). Does anybody have any idea how likely it was that, although they were born there, they just were not registered. Can anyone tell me if they have found people missing from registers? Any help and/or ideas would be appreciated Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2004 14:46

I am 'bumping' this myself in case somebody can help who didn't see it before. Ann Glos