General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A coincidence or something spooky?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 14 Jan 2004 20:40

I have only been doing my tree for a few months and have been asking my mum, who is 76 if she could remember any names from the past or any relatives of hers still alive who could help me out. She recalled visiting one of her cousin's about 15 years ago who lived in Newhaven, Sussex with her bachelor son Robert, but not her name. As mum was accompanied on this visit by her sister and brother ( my aunt and uncle) she mentioned this to her sister who supplied the cousins name which was Peggy and also the fact that Peggy had died a few years ago. My aunt said that she was sure Peggy had given her telephone number to one of the three of them and if they could find it there was a chance that Robert still lived in his mother's house. Mum knew she hadn't got the number and intended to ask my uncle if he had it next time they spoke on the phone. The strange part of this story is that mum rang me tonight to tell me that all day she had an urge to polish an old copper urn and plate set that has been sitting on a shelf in her house for years, untouched and unpolished as my late father always polished all the old brass and copper they had accumulated over their years together. Mum sat down to watch 'Neighbours' at lunchtime with the metal polish and cloths, and the urn and plate in front of her. She looked in the urn and saw some bits and pieces so tipped the contents out onto her lap. There were a few colouring pencils, some rubber bands and old Christmas cracker novelties and at the very bottom a piece of folded paper. On the paper was Peggy's telphone number, written by Peggy over 15 years ago and obviously given to my mum on that visit. My mum says she would have bet a weeks pension that she never had the number. Mum is a very down to earth, no-nonsense person and has still got all her wits about her. She is as puzzled as I am about this but not at all spooked. She isn't sure whether to try the number to see if Peggy's son is still at the same address as she would have to explain why she is getting in touch after so many years. Sorry if I have rambled on but I am so intrigued and wanted to see what other people thought............coincidence or something more inexplicable ? Pam

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 14 Jan 2004 21:07

Pam, I've been researching off and on for 25 years. I've had a couple of unexplained things happen. I don't doubt for a minute that there was a "reason" she picked up that urn. I, too, would like to hear the outcome.

Judy

Judy Report 14 Jan 2004 22:19

Oh boy, ghosts! One of my favorite subjects! Ghosts, or spirits are everywhere and I absolutely believe that our love ones are near. I started, with my sisters, a paranormal research group, a few years back. We travel all over the area to homes and businesses for people who claim their homes/business are haunted. Our interests grew over the years due to all the unexplained things that happened in our home when we were growing up. We believe, and still do, there is an unknown presence in the house (my Mom still lives in the house and things are still going on.) Our group investigates and documents spirit activity. You'd be amazed at the pictures, video and audio that we capture. You can check out some of our findings at our site: www(.)sjpr(.)org. Excuse the appearance of the site as we are in the middle of redesigning it. Judy

Pam

Pam Report 14 Jan 2004 22:40

Mum was thinking about trying the number but is now asking me to do it instead. What makes this more than a coincidence in my eyes is that only a couple of months ago I came across a match in my names with someone bearing the same first and surname as my mother's brother. I contacted him through Genes Connected and he was indeed my uncle's son, therefore my first cousin. We are now in regular contact and he was the one who first brought to my attention to the Newhaven connection, which I knew absolutely nothing about, after speaking to his dad ( my uncle) in the last few weeks. I have just been through my inbox and found the e-mail pertaining to Peggy..................It was sent and received last Wednesday 7 January. If this really was a sign or some sort of message, all I can say is please keep in touch relatives..............We need some help down here !!! Pam

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 14 Jan 2004 22:56

Arthur Koestler, the philosopher, wrote, "co-incidences occur too frequently for them to be co-incidences". I recall one unusual incident in my life (amongst many). I was never a sleepwalker but when I was 6 did so for the only time in my life. The family were having a party, two floors below my bedroom where I had been asleep for two or three hours. I woke up down with the party, hugging my 18 year old sister saying I wanted to say goodbye to her and everyone was laughing. She was a hospital nurse and about eleven departed to go back to her hospital. On the way she was killed by a hit and run driver who was never traced.

Patsy

Patsy Report 14 Jan 2004 23:08

This isn't to do with a family tree, but it's still spooky to me..... A few years ago my mum and her sister were on holiday near Exeter (they live in East Sussex). They visited a craft centre outside the city and chose a gift to send to me. Before paying for it, my aunt asked the owner of the store if it would be suitable to send in the mail and told her it was going to Calgary in Canada. The lady replied that that was quite a coincidence as her brother in law was visiting from Calgary and if they had no objections to giving her my address, she would ask him to take it back and see it was delivered. So it was agreed. A week or so later, I had a phone call from the daughter of a lady I was looking after. She told me that she had a present from England for me and it was from my aunt. Her husband was the brother in law! Patsy

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 15 Jan 2004 11:06

I truly believe that there is no such thing as coincidence..... Anyone read "The Celestine Prophecy"? 5 years ago I was about to call my sister to wish her a happy birthday when I got an overwhelming desire to call my brother...... then suddenly whilst talking to him I said..... Your wife is going to go into labour tonight!! Not sure where it came from but sure enough her labour started at 9.30pm and my gorgeous nephew was been the following day..... 3 weeks early!! Anyway Len.... I bet you were comforted by the fact you said goodbye!! And has that number been rung yet? Dee xx

Peter

Peter Report 15 Jan 2004 15:46

Yes - just a coincidence... Just think how spooky it would be if there were never any coincidences....

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 15 Jan 2004 23:39

Most people claim allegiance to one religious group or another and all religions are based on spiritualism, in the broadest sense of the word. Yet so many baulk at the idea of ghosts. Odd! Len

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 16 Jan 2004 14:16

I can't take the credit for this saying as I read it on this site but it has explained alot to me!! "WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS HAVING SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCES, WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS HAVING A HUMAN EXPERIENCE!!!" Whoever wrote it initially Thank you!!

Sue

Sue Report 16 Jan 2004 15:22

Patsy I had a similar experience to yours. My Great Aunt in London, had, for over 60 years, a penfriend from Regina, Canada. She was over here for a visit for my Great Aunt's birthday. We were at the party and my Mum was talking to the penfriend, whom we had never met before. Mum said that her sister-in-law lived in Regina and wasn't that a coincidence. The penfriend asked her name and we were really spooked when she said "That's my nephew's wife!" Of all the people and places in all the world...........(with apologies to Casablanca!) Pam Please ring the number and let us know what happens. Sue

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 16 Jan 2004 23:33

This has nothing to do with genealogy but may be classified as "spooky". My Dad was headmaster of a church school and not given to tall tales. very straight-laced and inclined to be a bit severe. He never talked to us much as kids but in his later years he told me something he had kept to himself for over 50 years, In the 1914-18 war he had been in the Flanders trenches for three years - he was lucky to have survived that long. The men were sent on leave at intervals and in due course found their own transport back to the lines. On one occasion, my Dad returned from leave to his trench system and met one of his platoon and had a chat with him. On joining the rest of the men in a dugout he mentioned having met old so and so outside. All went quiet then someone said "but he was killed a three days ago"

Patsy

Patsy Report 17 Jan 2004 03:35

Now that IS spooky! Patsy

Lynn

Lynn Report 17 Jan 2004 09:10

some of the more simple thing could be classed as strange and I am sure that many people have experienced this.I was upstairs putting away washing and from out of nowhere thought"we havent seen so and so for ages" and as I walked down stairs there was a ring at the bell and it was them.This sort of thing seems to crop up all the time as only the other day I said to hubby "must mail my cousin"(found her again through GC).Just as I was typing mail I received one from her Lynn

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 17 Jan 2004 23:08

Once when I was a bit more hard-up than I am now, I was walking through the tunnels of Marble Arch tube and noticed an advert for a free demonstration of spiritualism. I loved that word "free" so went to the meeting. There were about 100 people in the audience and I was one of the "lucky" few to get a message. I was told my grandad was there. He was in merchant seamens garb, walked with a limp, having been crippled in an accident and that I had an oil-painting of him. Other stuff too. I knew nothing of this and was a bit terse with the medium, including words like "rubbish". Recounting all this to an elderly aunt, I was soundly ticked off, first for going to a seance secondly for knowing so little of my grandad who died when I was 6. Apparently he was a seamans missionary and always wore a blue sweater and peaked cap, he walked with a limp, having stopped some bolting horse and got his legs broken and yes, I did have an oil painting. It was only small, about 10 x 8inches and was in a box of old photos she had given to me, which I had put away without inspection. Would have apologised to the medium but she had moved on and I was told she was not likely to remember me or the message and was used to my sort anyway