General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chasing a ghost - the final chapter [maybe]

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 19 Jan 2004 22:04

To all of you that have spent your time [and money!] helping me to catch my "ghost", may I say thank you very,very much. Finally, with your help, maybe I can lay him to rest, after his merry dance. Tom Stringer Deakin, now have him on 1881, 1891, and 1901 censuses, thanks to you. Also have birth, marriage & death certs. So it transpires he never went to Australia. Boo hoo - means I'm not related to Oz's founding father after all - and he wasn't even a sheep thief. Looks like he married my Gr.Granmother [cos she was with child], and then cleared off. Whether or not he supported her and grandad, I'll never know, but he did change his profession from Iron Works Labourer to Domestic Butler, which is quite a step. Both he and Grandma caused confusiong - Tom's father is listed as Deaken, Tom's marriage is listed twice, both as Deakin and Deakins. Listed on 1881 as Deakins, unmarried, Dorcas is also shown as unmarried. 1901 he is back to Deakin, married, Dorcas living alone, unmarried. What a tangled web. Again, many thanks to you all, could not have done it without you. Just thought you'd like to know the end result. Night all Badger Bill Worthing

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 19 Jan 2004 22:17

Glad that I was able to help Bill. All I need is a month off work now so that I can get out there and sort my own family tree out! Maggy

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 20 Jan 2004 06:30

Maggy Hi. If there is any way I can help, lookups needed down south, let me know, and I will do my best. Viv Yes, it has been great to get yet another result thanks to all the help given by GC members. When I started this in June 03 I never expected to get this far so soon, and it is all down to help given so willingly and unstintingly by GC members. I'm now back to roughly 1803, roughly because I have yet to get the documentation for gr.gr.granparents. Still trying to track birth cert for Dorcas Deakin - GRO indexes in my neck of the woods are smudged, and partly illegible. Badger Bill Worthing

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Jan 2004 09:07

Hi Bill Congratulations on tracking Tom down. Ok, so he didn't turn out to be the founding father of Oz or a sheep thief, but an interesting story non the less. Good luck with your continuing search. Jeanette